Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Yikes!

kjw57

If memory serves, this happened in 2004. Pilot misinterpreted the horn, thought it was an engine failure, dumped cyclic and hard left pedal. After that he was never able to input enough right pedal to keep 'er straight. Someone posted the NTSB report here about a year ago...

LOL ya reckon!

IIRC this was a hydraulic failure, aside from that poor emergency training.

RTR

Amen to that. Traning would have taught him that dumping hydraulics (On Collective) would have been the best answer. The way I see it is, he had a hydralic faliure and was running on acumulators and the one side ran out before the other. Stiff one way, easy the other. Not a nice way to fly. Dumping it would have made all forces even.

If memory serves, this happened in 2004. Pilot misinterpreted the horn, thought it was an engine failure, dumped cyclic and hard left pedal. After that he was never able to input enough right pedal to keep 'er straight. Someone posted the NTSB report here about a year ago...

Do you know where to find the ntsb report?

I would like to read it.

I suppose training is only effective when the assesment as to wtf is wrong, is right. Lot of stuff to figure out while your dodging buildings and wrestling iron around in a panic. Training should just kick in and dictate ones response... but it's got to be the right response.

It would be great if we were all the calm cool professionals we all believe ourselves to be when the s--t hits the fan...May all your fans be forever s--t free.

It would be great if we were all the calm cool professionals we all believe ourselves to be when the s--t hits the fan...May all your fans be forever s--t free.

Now that, is a "great" point kjw57.....all to easy for the "armchair quarterbacks" to sit back and say, "i woulda" done this, or "i woulda" done that...... :down: