Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Getting Out While The A/c Is Running.

Guest graunch1

Maybe some one should ask the guys at TC in Edmonton their procedure a few years ago when they went to the pilots summer cabin to check the propane and he left the RDG and his squeeze in the little red 206 where upon it went TU :shock:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, the mystery is solved TT2 is the culprit for all those broken cannon plug connections across the continent.

Thats why I carry the Home Hardware Dealer locater with me all the time! :huh:

And if you leave one of your extensions cords lying around don't be surprised to find the ends cut off if you see me flying off into the sunset. :rolleyes:

Here ya go rumrunner

If the stories I've heard are true then there are quite a few former and current pilots with some serious scarring who would suggest it's a bad idea.

Do I use them if they're available. Yes.

Are they always available. No.

Do I still fuel. Yes.

Have I been too lazy or forgotten to use them when they were available. A few times.

Similar to what others have said I use the time to refuel as my time to take a break, eat/drink and do a walk around. My experience is that most clients like getting out for a break far sooner then we do.

ttf

post-919-1164352472_thumb.jpg

post-919-1164352495_thumb.jpg

If the stories I've heard are true then there are quite a few former and current pilots with some serious scarring who would suggest it's a bad idea.

Fueling fires can and do happen, I can speak from personal experience on that one. Hot fueling a 500 in a snowstorm with a faulty ground wire. Turns out those little 2 1/2 lb extinguishers do work, the only things seriously scorched as a result of that caper were the tighty whiteys. Make sure the grounds are intact!

Cheers - SW1

As alot of folks know the ground wire is not nearly important as bonding. Will I refuel without a ground wire? In a heartbeat and 10 times a day if needed. Will I refuel without a bonding wire to ensure that the tank, pump and aircraft have the same continuity,,,,never.

The fella in question may have a hose with a bonding wire built in, which is fine although I still think it is important to have a wire from nozzle to aircraft to ensure the bonding action happens prior to the nozzle being inserted into aircraft, not a good place for a spark. External bond wires are nice as you can visually tell the condition.

For those who think about ground wires, think about a helicopter on three feet of snow,,,ground ya right.

What about the 737 gettin fuel at airport from a rubber tired refuelling truck,,,no ground either,,,,,,,BONDING yes.

:up:

As alot of folks know the ground wire is not nearly important as bonding. Will I refuel without a ground wire? In a heartbeat and 10 times a day if needed. Will I refuel without a bonding wire to ensure that the tank, pump and aircraft have the same continuity,,,,never.

Well SC, shame on me <_< . While in fact I was referring to the same thing, you are correct in stating that the bond wire is very important. So remember kids, whatever you call it, ensure there is zero voltage potential between your a/c, fuel source and refueling gear and if you can ground everything as well, good on ya, I'd recommend it. Oh yeah, test those bonding wires regularly to avoid a repeat of my little escapade :wacko:.

Cheers - SW1

sw1;

Sorry, was not even referring to your post, my mistake, should have put on the quote thingy, was on about the 500 refuelling. :(

But I will ask how you scorched your tighty whitey's, or perhaps you meant soiled???? :up:

sc

Hey no sweat, too sensitive I guess :wacko: . As for the tighty whiteys, the scorching in question had nothing to do with flames, if you catch my drift :lol: Many thanks to the Gods of Javex :up: .

sw1