Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Chl Ems

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody heard if everyone there is happy with the outcome. Heard already a few have packed up and left after not being happy with the results. :shock:

I've seen the figures. Numbers look better. But i'm sure they were gunning for more :punk:

Can you tell us where we can find a copy?

Earnings increases over 30% during the term of the contract.

First year earnings increases about 20% including a Signing Bonus

Paid Lunch period

Double-time for some shifts

FO's were paid from $36K - $51K they will now earn from $43K - $61K in FIRST Year

Captains were paid from $62K - $78K they will now earn from $73K - $91K+ in FIRST Year

other things as well

-a pretty good start, but like anything there is still room to improve. Without the PHPA-OPEIU NONE of this would have been possible because the company refused to listen to any of our concerns prior to certification as a Union. Some of our pilots hung in to see just how far we could improve wages, now they are looking elsewhere. I applaud them, their professionalism and support during the negotiation process. Hopefully the company will experience a shock and some trauma when these pilots leave. All we can say is: "We warned you"

There are pros and cons to the whole Professional Association/Union thing, but without such a legally recognized body your employer doesn't have to listen to a thing you say. Join us and fight for your rights.

If your pilots want to explore their options to try and improve their employment situation, contact me directly.

Guest plumber

Not trying to start an arguement Grover but after seeing what happened with PHI and the union in the states I'm not so sure the union is the way to go. I'M also speeking from experience in the trades the only thing the union did there was pad their pockets and help out their friends. Wow 2 years in Alberta seems to have sucked the last bit of BC right out of me. :shock:

Not trying to start an arguement Grover but after seeing what happened with PHI and the union in the states I'm not so sure the union is the way to go. I'M also speeking from experience in the trades the only thing the union did there was pad their pockets and help out their friends. Wow 2 years in Alberta seems to have sucked the last bit of BC right out of me. :shock:

Firstly, without a legally recognized labour organization certified by the CIRB, no company has any obligation to listen to any pilots concerns. Hence, a union or professional association is needed. The PHPA is affiliated with the OPEIU, IFALPA << the International Association of Airline Pilots Associations and the CHC-PA in Europe. Say what you like, but there is an international movement, all connected, for the betterment of our working conditions and industry. The PHPA in North America is a legally recongized organization speaking for helicopter (and some fixed wing) pilots.

On the PHI point, you only see what's posted in the chat forums and don't know the legal processes underway in the U.S. The labour act the PHI pilots are under affords many protections, not as good as here in Canada, but there are several areas of recourse. After seeing the legal case law which prevails, I'm pretty confident the company in question will have some splainin to do in court and that outcome will probably be denied by the company. It will be interesting so see the facts once the court case plays out and how many areas of law the company has simply dismissed during the past 2 years.

Guest plumber

Unions have some good points Don't get me wrong this country would be a slave labour market without them. My personal experience was protection of the weak and lazy. Also sitting on the hire out board for 2 years waiting for the call to go too work and when they found out I was working for a non union plumbing company to put such foolish things like food on the table they black listed me, so I am speaking from personal experience only. Maybe aviation would be different but I am not one to give it another chance( been a member of three unions, strike 3 )

Unions have some good points Don't get me wrong this country would be a slave labour market without them. My personal experience was protection of the weak and lazy. Also sitting on the hire out board for 2 years waiting for the call to go too work and when they found out I was working for a non union plumbing company to put such foolish things like food on the table they black listed me, so I am speaking from personal experience only. Maybe aviation would be different but I am not one to give it another chance( been a member of three unions, strike 3 )

And the debate goes on.

If one creates ones own Union/Association one can make it in any shape one wants. If you choose to protect the culls than thats what it will be. These unions are usually formed by culls. There is nothing to stop an association that encourages safety and efficiency as well as steering management towards more equitable practices. Formed by the strong and competent.

Do you nay sayers really feel you are better off without representation? Would you go to court without a lawyer? Would Parliament work better without an opposition to keep governments feet to the fire?

I was told by a senior member of managment recently that it is part of managements job to keep wages as low as possible and spend as little as possible on employees. Who argues the other side?

And the debate goes on.

" was told by a senior member of managment recently that it is part of managements job to keep wages as low as possible and spend as little as possible on employees. Who argues the other side?" deuce bigalow

well if the highest cost for a company is employees and the bean counters are running the show and the boss does not care about any thing but profits then that statment makes sence. The employees won't be happy and production and moral will go down and people will leave.

i don't think that a union/association is the only way to go they have had there place, and still do. if your owner is one that takes the time to include you in the decision making process, and treats you fairly. the employees will feel as though they have some ownership and moral and productivety will be up.

i peronaly have not had a good tast left in my mouth by unions and have found that the guys at the top seem to get richer from my due's and have little to show me for there work in the contract they negotiate on my behalf.

now if you are treaded like sh#t then what are you still doing working for that company? if the employees have there input into decisions by leaving and the company is un able to find or hire more people, well they change or go out of buisness.