Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bo-105 Crazy Vid....

AgMan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-543-1169512071_thumb.jpg

bo105_005.zip

well i was fortunate enough this summer to fly in one and the pilot that was flying it was experienced, as a matter a fact he is the cp helicopter division of red bull airshow

that being said, alot of training goes into these air maneuvres for the shows

there's a difference from being a trained airshow pilot and being a pilot on a low budget fff production (whoever those people are?) that vid appeared to me to be more hotdogging than trained flying. there are several shots where he looks to be mowing the grass and not flying a corrodinated stunt flight. :shock: :blink: :down:

Even if I can understand your reaction, I don't totally agree...

:)

This kind of flight is part of a "tactical" training called NOE ("nap of the earth") that military helicopter pilots use TO LEARN in France and Germany. Those pilots know exactly what they're doing.

By the way, the pilot of this video is Colonel "Charly" Zimmermann (German Army): he was the first to make a loop with the BO-105.

You can also watch this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eOYgt-80Qw

;)

This kind of flight is part of a "tactical" training called NOE ("nap of the earth") that military helicopter pilots use TO LEARN in France and Germany. Those pilots know exactly what they're doing.

By the way, the pilot of this video is Colonel "Charly" Zimmermann (German Army): he was the first to make a loop with the BO-105.

You can also watch this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eOYgt-80Qw

;)

Hi Tonio

I am Ex military and we never trained on NOE missions in a manner that is demostrated in the video, our NOE training involved the entire crew to ensure that we came out alive when it was done. the flight shown there to me was nothing more than an imprompto filmed stunt.

there is trained, careless and stupid flying, each with it's own degree of risk.

i would classify that as a spot near the stupid side of careless!

I think this is pretty interesting because I'm certain that I've seen the same video but maybe cut into two parts and edited with different music. At the end of each there was a Eurocopter banner that was displayed across the screen. I'm nearly certain those videos even made it onto this site through a link. People watched them and said things similar to "Oh, those test pilots sure are good" or "Yep, this video was made to sell helicopters". This video is then displayed without the Eurocopter banner (using the exact same footage I am quite sure) and people think it's unsafe and/or dumb. Interesting.. and that's all I mean by that, I find that interesting.

I don't intend to fly this way. I don't want to try it. Aviation is dangerous enough as it is, I want to fly safe. (Yes Splitpin, I am one of those that you might call young dumb and full of ***... but I will learn how to fly properly)

Murdoch

Hi Tonio

I am Ex military and we never trained on NOE missions in a manner that is demostrated in the video, our NOE training involved the entire crew to ensure that we came out alive when it was done. the flight shown there to me was nothing more than an imprompto filmed stunt.

there is trained, careless and stupid flying, each with it's own degree of risk.

i would classify that as a spot near the stupid side of careless! (from 67November)

I also am ex-military, and never saw any NOE like that. Note Wikipedias definition--

Nap-of-the-earth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Nap-of-the-earth (NOE) describes a method of stealthy flight whereby the pilot avoids detection by flying very close to the ground and using the geographical features as cover. It is also known as "ground-hugging" or "flying under the radar".

The technique generally uses electronic assistance from a radar altimeter or terrain-following radar system. In mountainous terrain, it involves flying low between mountains or through valleys, where radar waves are often blocked by surrounding terrain. NOE can be used to maneuver around hostile aircraft, AWACS planes, or ground-based radar stations. A high-flying aircraft would be detected by the enemy well before reaching the target, allowing an integrated air defense sufficient time to react. With NOE flight the approach is undetected, the aircraft "pops up" to attack the target and then turns to escape before the enemy can respond.

It is generally used by helicopters flying at tree-top level, and was widely used in Vietnam. The technique remains both useful and valid in much current warfare. The technique is generally not used for more than 5 consecutive minutes dependent on the terrain encountered because of the fatigue and stress generated. In unobstructed or flat terrain such as desert it can be used for longer periods, limited primarily by the stress capacity of individual pilots. This technique is accomplished in helicopters by maneuvering the aircraft with the tail rotor pedals and not the cyclic to avoid striking the ground (end) Bold type is mine.

Note it says "tree top level" not 6 inches

Hi Tonio

i would classify that as a spot near the stupid side of careless!

Hello 67N!

Well... I am an ex-military too and I learnt that: it represents most of my military flight time.

That's the reason of my last post: I just wanted to say that this is legal (Military Aviation Authorities) in some countries... And not only "5 minutes consecutives" as said in Wikipedia (an open source encyclopedia where anyone can write and post an article on any topic of their choice).

I didn't find any videos but there are other impressive trainings such as helicopter dogfighting, for example, and pilots are teached by very experienced instructors.

Have a good day!

;)