Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A-star Vertical Reference Windows?

I would like to get some opinions on Vertical reference windows for A-Stars. If you have had any experience with the good or bad and also what is the best modification to go for... Dart or Chinook. Also a rough idea of cost and time to install (paperwork and approvals) and if anybody reading this has had them installed in JAA land. If so please PM me or post

Regards

Machiavelli

for me the chinook window offers the best visibility, especially to the rear allowing for better overall visibility when on top of the load and it allows you to see the load while in forward flight. it would be nice if the cowling could be cut a little more to the outboard side cutting down on the blind spot between the skid/step and the outer edge of the window. it is still miles ahead of the eurocopter window and an improvement on the dart.

as far as i am aware, the cost is about $10K (approx) and takes about a week. the belly cowlings have to be cut and painted and the landing light needs to be relocated if it is a belly mount.

as far as paperwork goes, i really am not sure but cannot imagine it is a big deal. there are enough of them out there now, but i am just a driver so don't quote me, please.

The chinook, looks like the best. We tried to get one a year or so ago and they wouldnt get back to us. They put the big Dart one in stead.. Which is a major inprovement on the small one. Its wort what ever it costs.

Setting drills or flying bags with out it is a pain.

Fly a Lama you wont have to worry about visibility :D

jfk

Lama! I would love to.... the thing is my company has pretty much mothballed the last one (in our fleet) its looking pretty sad at the back of the hanger. I have contacted Dart and they have 3 different sizes available small/large and super-size. I think the super size would be the go, anybody got any other opinions?

T-rex, I'm surprised you said that, don't you guys operate AS350's? **** try long-lining out of a astar with no verticle window. flew G-TAM for Remote before it was installed ha ha lots of fun. the IA crew couldn't figure out why I couldn't hit the hot spot. Snowing in Texas today what is this country coming to.

SOB

SOB,

Your long enough to stretch out to do the no vertical ref window thing! I am too short!

As for the snow in Texas, have you watched that movie, The Inconvienent Truth, by Al Gore, One word...............SCARY!!!!

There is an Astar mod, a funny one, that places the PIC (right side) over about three inches which allows the pilot to sit closer to the door!!!! Strange but true!

Not too sure about that "super sized" dart window but one of the Astar's that I flew last summer with the Chinook mod made it alot less stressfull for me being taller to see and a few less scratches on the old helmet from hitting the the door frame trying to see the empty hook in a strong wind.....it was as fun as a bell sans door but warm and dry.

Just my 2cents worth

LTE