Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Electronics

Guest bag swinnger

Hey guys im not saying that you half to use a gps to drop bags or drills, but that there are some advantages to them and they can be used as a tool. what is it that we are trying to accomplish here? is it that we as pilots are trying to provide a better product for our customers or are we trying to fatten are pay checks by taking a little longer. I see it this way if I can provide a better product to the customer than there is a good chance that I will be asked out on another job and I find that this little tool helps me (at times) to be a faster pilot. Now I am giving my view as something constructive to skids up whom asked for such an opinion. as i find that if i am going slow enough to to count pin flags then i am clearly taking to long to deliver the product and we are not talking about bald *** praire jobs here. having just finished a few jobs inside of a park boundry where there was no hand cut allowed, a dyna nav probably would have been a good tool but we did not have that luxury. relying on a little gps wich we have two of on board reduced my work load. Being asked back for more work is of the upmost importance as I work for a small company and this is our bread and butter. unfortunetly we do not have big company contracts to help out. as I am not yet a skilled enough pilot to be able to hover inverted with the long line on LOL. I would love to here some tricks and tips from some one a little longer in the tooth. Big Duke you can rant all you want, as i am one who enjoys hearing the adventures and can somewhat relate to the one that you just described.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love listening to you guys and learning stuff, very cool. I'll admit I am totally clueless though, what is a Kodiak or a Dynanav?

All this GPS moving map makes sick :huh: Our SeaKings have GPS but it sure as **** doesn't have moving anything and it sits in the back for the Navigator! Man I'd love to see moving map thingy up front, I digress..... ;)

Bag swinnger, my apologies if you took what i was saying the wrong way. Vert-Ref and I were having a little fun at your expense, sorry. I agree with ya though, use whatever tricks and tools will help you be more efficant and gain the confidence of your customer and crew without sacrificing safety. Unfortunatly until you come work for us, all those trade secrets will have to stay :censored: in the mean time keep up the good work, but remember faster is not always faster. Measure twice cut once. B)

swinger you will find as you improve your skills as a recording crew pilot you do not have time to use a gps! Seismic is a memory game in which you must picture the grid in your head and "map" yourself in and "map" yourself out. Memorize the landscape to the finest detail, different colour tree, dead tree, tallest tree, rock outcroping, past the swamp, over the rock ledge, next to the creek etc. If these donot exist make your own, gently snap the top off a nice spruce on your last bag drop or couple of drops, or drill set up to give yourself an excellent "neon sign" to return to 5 minutes or 5 hours later...if you are going to the gps to mark the start of each rack, believe it or not you are costing your client money! you should be flying seismic not flying the aircraft or gps, if you know what i mean!Between alaska and california i only have about 6000 hours of seismic, so it would be benificial to get a second and third opinion! ;););) best o' luck, seismic can be a tough career to hoe! remember you are only as good as your last cycle...

:o A whole Six thousand hrs that's it, your still wet behind the ears. Here I was , thinking I was talking to a pro... :P:D Just kidding. Your'e right landmarking while doing any type of production work is the key. Whether logging, seismic, skiing even fires that is the name of the game. Bang on yet again VR how do you do it. ;) don't pass on to much to the new guys or you and I will be going the way of the 47. Think of it as job security.

Guest bag swinnger

Allright now we are getting some where! Right on vert ref I new there was a tip or two in there somewhere. I am liking the snap the top off the spruce trick. as for the garmin gps III pilot when you turn it on before you lift off it starts drawing a track on the moving map right from staging and and you can even see the track change when you kick in some pedal to put some english on the bag as you swing it in and play the wind. after you spot the last bag you veer off back to staging for another rack and the track still follows you and that turning point is the mark you do not touch any thing, it just keeps drawing track that stays there until you erase it. you can turn it on three days later and see where you left off and fly direct to that spot once again never touching a thing. if youre flying a 3D youre track will draw you a replica of youre map complete with relation to rivers lakes and secondary roads, depending on how you lay the job out. for those long 2D's when youre flying from a semi trailer thats jumping a head every few miles and youre track back to the mobile staging is different every rack, is where this thing is worth its weight in diamonds. i do agree with you on how valuable basic dead reckoning skills are but the more we use gps's they become the microwave oven of the aviation world, as in how did we ever get along with out them :up: I can hardly wait to see how fired up you guys get, on the next couple of topics that I am thinking about posting. :D