Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Great Dead Horse... Flight School Selection

Semi_Rigid

Hey All,

I am looking for some advice/information regarding selecting a Flight training school.

I am almost finished a 2 1/2 yr "contract" working overseas, which I took just to enable me to pursue my dream/goal of becoming a Commercial Helicopter Pilot. I have spent the last year doing as much research as possible (basically have read every thread on this site and others) trying to prepare myself for my return to Canada and the commencement of my training, and now I am at the point of trying to narrow down which flying schools I will be visiting before I make my final choice.

Now before its said that I should search the forums, I have and there is a goldmine of information which I have gained from, but I guess I just want to ask the questions myself...

So here it goes and thanks to everybody that replies cause I know your probably sick of getting asked the same questions...

What I am really looking for (and I would do this in person to an extent if I could) is reviews, comments, testimonials, experiences, complaints and what have you, about the flight schools and Instructors (I guess I should say I am looking at the Lowermain land of BC =free accomdations).

I would really appreciate advice from CPs, Ops managers, Instructors, Students past and present, and All you High timers that are the goldmine of info.

Now before I start any pissing contests, I am looking for specifics to help me make an informed desicion. I know alot of info may be subjective opinions as opposed to objective observations and I dont want people naming names, slandering or having to play favorites in a public forum. So if you feel you have info to provide I ask you to use your discretion and feel free to PM anything that you wish not to be displayed publicly, I will gladly sign any confidentiality agreement if you have concerns.

Thanks again, I know it was quite a long winded way of asking a question...

Cheers and safe flying (cant wait till I get to)

Paul

Hey Paul

Take everything you read here so far, go to all of the schools in the lower mainland, ask ther pertinant questions, meet the person who will be your flight instructor, find out what type and how much experience he has and make an informed dieciaion. Believe me, you will walk into some flight schools and know instantly that it is not the place for you. You'll also walk into others and realize that they're telling you everything you want to hear. Take all into consideration and make the right decision yourself. If you've read the previous forums you should be well loaded with knowledge to make that decision.

Cheers

Full agreement with what Teabagger (???) said. If you feel you've dug deep on these forums (and, as you say, there is a wealth of information here) and gathered what info you can, the next step is visiting the prospective schools. I know many on this forum have trained in SW BC schools, myself included.

I am happy with the training I received. However, an eye opener to me was how lacking I was in OPERATIONAL training, not flight test training. This reflects a little on the school and a little on myself. I could have done more to demand and receive more operational training if I had done my homework a little better. As far as I know, there are some schools out there who have gathered a reputation for better ops training than others. By ops training I mean: max gross weight operation, longlining, fueling from drums, bush reality (eg: what the flight manual says vs. actual options 300 miles from nowhere) and more.

Free accom in the Lower Mainland is definitely a good reason to stay, and you can receive good training there. There are definitely other schools outside the Lower Mainland with good reps though.

Will send more in a PM.

Good luck and let us know.

Coastal

I'm in the same boat, researching training in the lower mainland. One thing I haven't seen much (if any) of is free accommodations. Good luck!

Hey Bleepo Good luck to you to!!!

The free accomodation is my house that will be paid off when I finish my work...

Maybe we should compare notes before making our final choices... 2 heads always better than one...

The answer to your question is simple, find a school where they:

1 focus on getting you ready for work. ( the job is so much more than flying )

2 focus on giving you the tools to get a job. ( hanger, maintenance, etc. )

3 offer the tools that will allow for work preparation not only licensing. ( an instructor can only teach you what the machine will allow, IE: all emergencies to the ground, solo slinging, altitude landings, etc. )

4 don't blow smoke up your @## with promises of guaranteed employment. ( instead they offer you the tools to sell your self )

Make sure you visit as many as possible, there are a lot of great instructors out there, just make sure the organization is set up for them to give you a thorough education.

Last but not least, make sure they are focused on you education, not just selling you flight time.

Good luck

Rob

What I am really looking for (and I would do this in person to an extent if I could) is reviews, comments, testimonials, experiences, complaints and what have you, about the flight schools and Instructors

If you have delved (?) into the forum to the extent that you have gathered all the information, then you should be aware that no one can tell you the best school or instructor.

The one I like, others don't. The ones they recommend, are in my opinion, useless. Don't spend you hard earned money on someone else's opinion or experiences.

Information gathering is good, but only you can make the final decision.

Listen to the advice that Rob gave - it's worth listening to...

Hey Bleepo Good luck to you to!!!

The free accomodation is my house that will be paid off when I finish my work...

Maybe we should compare notes before making our final choices... 2 heads always better than one...

I'm in the lower mainland... If you are too, drop me a PM and we'll chat! I've hit up a few schools, and bombarded a few pilots with questions. It'd be interesting if we talked to the same people, and our opinions are different!