Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Technical Questions

Hi. My name is Helen and I'm a helicopter pilots mother.

I am reading some books on helicopters and when my son comes home to visit I want to surprise him with my technical knowledge. I have only one problem that I don't have any. But he is bringing a new girl with him (Well she's 39 and divorced so she's not really a girl) and I really want to impress my son in front of her. She by the way knows even less than I about helicopters...

So here are the questions that I hope someone can help me with.

What is a liftlink and what does it do and where is it exactly. I know they replaced it recently.

what is a fifth mount or maybe 5th mount and what does it do and where is it as they are having a problem with it and repairing it or adjusting it but I know they can't fly until it's fixed

When I ask how the repairs came along I would like to add a few gems like how is the bit its attached to etc...

Thank you for any light you can shed on these items...

You can write me at jimsmom@live.com if you prefer

Fly safely and don't forget to call your mother...Helen

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading some books on helicopters and when my son comes home to visit I want to surprise him with my technical knowledge. I have only one problem that I don't have any. But he is bringing a new girl with him (Well she's 39 and divorced so she's not really a girl) and I really want to impress my son in front of her. She by the way knows even less than I about helicopters...

What is a liftlink and what does it do and where is it exactly. I know they replaced it recently.

what is a fifth mount or maybe 5th mount and what does it do and where is it as they are having a problem with it and repairing it or adjusting it but I know they can't fly until it's fixed

When I ask how the repairs came along I would like to add a few gems like how is the bit its attached to etc...

Hi Jims Mom:

A lift link is a piece that attach's the transmission to the airframe with a solid link. It runs from the bottom of the transmission to a large beam that runs laterally in the "he-l hole" Its purpose is to transfer lift loads from the rotor system to the airframe. Called the he-l hole because it's a he-l of a place to get into. Ask him if they had a hard time getting the bolts out. Sometimes it can be a little difficult.

There are four rubber dampened transmission mounts. one on each corner, and a "fifth mount" at the rear of the transmission attached to the airframe though a rubber damper. Its purpose is to dampen and restrict fore and aft movement of the transmission and pylon assembly.

There is seldom a problem with the above parts "UNLESS" the machine has been forced to lift more weight that she is designed to do!! Thes problems arrise on a contiuouse basis if the machine is being used for Heli-Logging etc. A Bell medium simply was not designed for that type of work. Please inform your son that he or someone is abusing the machine and if it is allowed to continue that there could be potentialy more serious problems further down the road with not very plesant results for all concerned.

You sound like a cool Mom. Kudos for messing with your son's mind. :lol:

Dear Split Pin

I appreciate you taking the time to explain, and your words of caution!

I am assured that if the helicopter was overloaded it was not during my sons work period and that there are other reasons that might precipitate the damaged pieces. Apparently he has a electronic box in the helicopter that tells him if anyone has flown the machine badly, too hard, fast etc.

My son had some unsavory words regarding these latter comments, but that I blame on his Father, who was often hot-headed when facing any criticism.

However the point is somewhat moot, as there is a fifth columnist amongst us who contacted James and told him of my letter to this room.

I received a phone call from him (James) stating very clearly that a WOMAN of my AGE should not be visiting helicopter meeting rooms. I have been Grounded!

Imagine that! It seems like yesterday HE was GROUNDED from driving his Fathers car because his Father smelled beer on his breath...How times change!

I do wish you all a very safe and happy 2008 and remember to call your Mothers from time to time. It's only a small thing but means much to your Mother.

My husband had some excuse, as long distance calls were often hard to arrange some years ago. But now everyone has cell phones and satellite phones and I don't know what else. So there really is no excuse for not making a short call. I'm sure you agree?

Please remember that the news reporters often talk about accidents and seldom give the names of the pilots involved. I blame my high blood pressure on waiting for news from James, and his Father before him.

I will leave you now before I incur further wrath from my son the tyrant!

Fly safely and have a happy heli-logging, seismic and fire fighting season everyone

Sincerely, Helen

As I'm sure you are aware JimsMom, the wrath of a son towards his mother is often misplaced, unexplained and most certainly not intentional! I say so because as a son of a mother who apparently niggles in my affairs, I often need to take a step back and a deep breath and see that, in fact, most of my mothers intentions are out of care and compassion and not done with the intention of incurring wrath!

Way to keep an eye out for your brood. We are lucky to have you caring mothers among us!

I will call my mom...tomorrow.

Coastal

Allow me to answer your technical questions, Ms. Helen. :rolleyes:

Technically, what Moms do in their own time is NOTB (none of their business...those sons, of ours...tyrant or otherwise). ;)

Technically, those girlz/women are NOUB (none of our business...the less we know, the better...but we have every right to emit the occasional verbal and physical wince/cringe when a real beaut/prize :blink: makes it into our homes and their lives). :lol: Ay, yi, yi!

Welcome to Verticalmag and good luck with all that! You come back any time, regardless of what Jimbo and/or Bimbo say. :up:

-TQN

BoyMomx4

Purveyour of All Things Male, Loud & Stinky

Allow me to answer your technical questions, Ms. Helen. :rolleyes:

Technically, what Moms do in their own time is NOTB (none of their business...those sons, of ours...tyrant or otherwise). ;)

Technically, those girlz/women are NOUB (none of our business...the less we know, the better...but we have every right to emit the occasional verbal and physical wince/cringe when a real beaut/prize :blink: makes it into our homes and their lives). :lol: Ay, yi, yi!

Welcome to Verticalmag and good luck with all that! You come back any time, regardless of what Jimbo and/or Bimbo say. :up:

-TQN

BoyMomx4

Purveyour of All Things Male, Loud & Stinky

STINKY??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :D