Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Md 902 Explorer

I remember hearing they weren't certified for Canadian use. Something about rubber control boots and a few other minor hangups but I can't find any information about it now. Are they certified for Canadian operators now and if not does anyone know why they aren't?

They seem like a pretty sweet light twin.

I remember hearing they weren't certified for Canadian use. Something about rubber control boots and a few other minor hangups but I can't find any information about it now. Are they certified for Canadian operators now and if not does anyone know why they aren't?

They seem like a pretty sweet light twin.

Same reason you don't find most new helicopters in Canada.

The Operators have trained the customers to accept nothing less than the lowest rates since deregulation, so, we're still selling 40yr old machines.

A trip to Europe is almost a religious experience in terms of seeing what hardware is out there.... And I'm an atheist.

Call me a cynic.

AR

I flew the MD Explorer (902) in Europe and I can safely say that it is awesome. You do have to get used to the distinct lack of vibration though, which is very unusual for any helicopter.

One thing that is always going to be in the back of the commercial operators mind is the poor supply chain management of MDHI. Having said that, it is improving all the time following a massive investment.

The Operators have trained the customers to accept nothing less than the lowest rates since deregulation, so, we're still selling 40yr old machines.

That would explain why we don't see any EC120's, EC130's, 350B3's, 407's....

Oh, wait...

I would imagine that if an operator chose to operate this make and model, TC would look at an approval. Recently models as the 355N, 355NP, and EC135 have been approved because of operator demand. I am sure if an operator wanted to run a 902 TC would do the approval process. I am not sure at the dollar figure it costs to do a certification? At HAC, MD quoted a very realistic price for a 902 which was very competative for a modern twin. But every aircraft out on the market to be certified in Canada, I am sure it is a dollar issue!

our market is vastly different than that of the EU and the US. Almost all of our helicopters have a little string tied to the bottom to lift stuff and 30 year old helicopters seam to do this really well. For a good price to the customer as well. why would someone want to pay extra cash for a helicopter, such as newer light twins, to do the same thing as something that is 30 years old and burn nearly twice as much fuel doing it.