Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

"cell Set" Music/cell Phone Helmet Adapters

Any comments on Cell Set brand adapters or other makes of audio -> helmet adapters for cell phones, MP3 players or satellite radio? Their model H9B is about US$409. (www.cellset.com).

I couldn't find any recent posts on this topic. Thanks, cheers . . . .

Any comments on Cell Set brand adapters or other makes of audio -> helmet adapters for cell phones, MP3 players or satellite radio? Their model H9B is about US$409. (www.cellset.com).

I couldn't find any recent posts on this topic. Thanks, cheers . . . .

doesn't worth 409$!!....look like crap in the pics.

BTW....nice free ads.....lol

Ok, I'll jump in.

STOP!!

You are in the aircraft to fly it! Not to try and turn it into a multiamedia suite! :wacko:

I know it is all the "rage" now but when flying you have to be tuned into the ship, not taking phone calls from your girlfriend or listening to music.

The trick is to hear the #1 bearing "start" to let go, not react to it half way through a good tune!

Save it for the ski hill. Even then.....

Yes I did it to in the early years but relised the folly in it, there's nothing worse than having a cell phone vibrate in your pocket when you are trying to put the cherry on the cake!! (drills)

Just my 2 cents but......Stop!!

Max

The cellset is a great piece of kit - I used mine all over canada for 2 years and am still using it in UK. Twice I've had to use it when the radio decided not to work. In fact, it works better than a radio quite often. A lot easier than carrying around a spare ICOM

Phil

OK, thanks. Their website is a bit thin on detail but the units seen to be well designed with decent features.

My plan is more for quiet jazz behind the radios, not full throttle head-banger stuff. I may try very small earbuds first as the Cell-set is pretty dear.

How did yours replace the radio? Through a cell phone, I presume.

Cheers . . . .

The ship I'm on right now has an old cassette deck in it that isnt hooked up. I asked the engineer if she had time if she could see about getting it working. Next thing I know I'm taking the dash apart but before I got all the bolts out another pilot who was helping me noticed a little hole down by the pedals on the passenger side. It was very well hidden but it was a stereo jack! So I decided to forget about the cassette deck. I was wondering why there was a pilot isolate switch in such a quick place to reach. Its a pretty nice set up whenever I hear any radio traffic I can reach the isolate in like half a second and it isnt loud anyway so I dont miss anything. I only use it for long flights but it was certainly nice to have for that 2 hour long line into the headwind to go only 72 miles.

I usually keep my mouth shut, but I have to agree with Max Continious. As a pilot you should be listening to the machine, period. If you have any distraction in the background, even soft Jazz, you will not hear the subtle clues that the aircraft will be sending you and more importantly that you should be picking up. I am, speaking from experience here when I say hearing what is going on and getting yourself prepared is very important to your survival. Another important point to think about, is the mechanical failures that we usually take actions on, based on aural input. Lets say your just cruising along chilling to some Jazz and the engine starts gentle compressor stalling, will you hear it and more important will you be ready for an engine failure. If the engine does fail will you hear your rotor rpm climb in the turns or decel as you try to stretch your glide. Not all aircraft have rotor horns.

In my opinion save the tunes for the car, your being paid as a professional pilot and that includes giving all your attention to the task at hand and that includes listening to the aircraft.

"Ask yourself this the next time you are riding in the back of a 767.........

Is it cool that the crew up front are relaxing to the soothing sounds of Kenny G and Celine Dion in their headsets??"

I thought those guys were watching the in flight movie picking through the bar cart, and talking with the flight attendants!!!!

they usually are T-Rex and if you've seen any of the Air France vids...there's a little more hanky panky going on in the cockpit than most would care to know :shock: .

I have to chime in though....I have worked with a couple pilots in the past who seemed to hear every noise imaginable.....from creaking and groaning to tinks and tinkles.....I almost think guys like this...(guys who hear voices in their heads).....should be tuned into Kenny G, so's they stop bothering me with annoying questions on what this....and that noise could be......

Just fly the **** thing.