Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

20 Hrs Vs. 40 Hrs Turbine Training For Cpl (h)

CoolHandLuke

Hey there Whirly Birds,

I have been researching training for the last year but need some feedback from the experts/vets out there who are in the industry.

I am scheduled to start training at Canadore College this September. There are various reasons as to why I chose Canadore but I have reached a critical point now as I have to decide the percentage of piston vs. turbine (as Canadore now allows 100 piston to 100 turbine). I originally wanted to do 60 piston : 40 Turbine but now due to certain constraints I am considering doing 80 Piston : 20 Turbine. I know in the hands of a rookie 20 hours is still negligible but I really feel having turbine experience will increase my odds out of the gate. The 80 : 20 combination presents a CA$10 000 savings. I am willing to put money into my training but I am married and have to think about my wife! (Rightfully so). Do any of you think that 40 hrs of turbine as opposed to 20 hrs would provide a sizable enough increase in potential of me finding a job to warrant the additional 20 hrs?

I know the answers are just projections and the road is always uncertain but any words would be of great value to me.

I hope all of you have a fantastic summer.

Cheers,

CHL

**Piston=Schweitzer 300

**Turbine=Bell 206 JetRanger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80/20

My guess is that you have about an 80% chance of being hired to fly a piston, or 20% chance of flying a turbine.

If someone wants you to fly a turbine, 20 hours will be enough to get you hired....they will provide whatever extra you need.

Canadore is a great school, (well, it was in the old days, I haven't heard lately)....that counts for a lot!! They will probably expose you to some sling/long-line work which is essential. Spending a few extra dollars on that stuff is always useful. You won't be great at it, but at least you will know which end of the long-line goes on the belly!!

Save some cash for a long, hard road trip to look for work.

Sincere good luck.....it has never been easy to get a first job......(and especially now).

OT

p.s. and don't offer to work for free.......personally, I wouldn't hire someone that suggests that !!

Hey CHL,

I'm by no means an expert or a vet, but I would say that 40hrs turbine vs 20hrs is not going to seal the deal as far as getting a job goes. I did a 10hr 206 endorsement at the end of my training, and yes it did help. I would've been more comfortable in the 206 when I started working if I'd done more time in it training, but in the end it worked out and I'm glad I didn't shell out anymore.

What I would be concerned about right now is the state of the economy and how it affects the job market...for all pilots, but in particular for 100hr freshies.

Honestly, I'd consider doing a bare bones 206 endorsement, then use the money you saved to keep current during the long job hunt that is likely to follow.

Don't mean to discourage you. It's going to turn around eventually, just be prepared for a very tough slog.

Good luck.

Coastal

Hey there Whirly Birds,

I have been researching training for the last year but need some feedback from the experts/vets out there who are in the industry.

I am scheduled to start training at Canadore College this September. There are various reasons as to why I chose Canadore but I have reached a critical point now as I have to decide the percentage of piston vs. turbine (as Canadore now allows 100 piston to 100 turbine). I originally wanted to do 60 piston : 40 Turbine but now due to certain constraints I am considering doing 80 Piston : 20 Turbine. I know in the hands of a rookie 20 hours is still negligible but I really feel having turbine experience will increase my odds out of the gate. The 80 : 20 combination presents a CA$10 000 savings. I am willing to put money into my training but I am married and have to think about my wife! (Rightfully so). Do any of you think that 40 hrs of turbine as opposed to 20 hrs would provide a sizable enough increase in potential of me finding a job to warrant the additional 20 hrs?

I know the answers are just projections and the road is always uncertain but any words would be of great value to me.

I hope all of you have a fantastic summer.

Cheers,

CHL

**Piston=Schweitzer 300

**Turbine=Bell 206 JetRanger

The best bang for your Buck would probably be 90 Hrs on the 300,5 Hrs on a R44 and 5 hrs on a 206.At 100 Hrs it is not going to matter if you have 5 hrs or 40 hrs on type you will have to be trained before you are turned loose. Concentrate on the basics on the 300 then once you are working apply the basics on the AC you will be flying.

Remember at 100 hrs you are the same as any other guy out there if you have 5 hrs on a turbine or 40 hrs on a turbine.I have met 100 hrs pilots with Astar endorsements and 500 my personal advise is do your hrs on the primary AC(47,300,R22)and if you have time and money left do a 206 endorsement,Don't waste money on extra training.

but the 206 is SOOO much fun! im smilling here just thinking about my 5.1 hrs it it. if i could have afforded to do all the training in it i would have (mmmaybe not, solo flights in a 22 as a 125lb pilot with 20g fuel were pretty high on the fun factor :D ). but looking back, i would like to have come out of training with a 44 endorsement aswell. better start saving my pennies i guess.

But dont listen to me, im a 100 hr guy that exhausted ALL of my funds on training, and am now waiting for a tax return to start my road trip. That i should have planned better.

That 20 hours will not help your odds out of the gate unless (and here is the thing) you are fortunate enough to find yourself competing for a turbine job as your first job. People have been hired and put into a turbine right out of the gate but realistically it doesn't happen all that often. You will most likely find yourself piloting a piston for your first couple of hundred hours. I would spend the extra money in getting a 44 endorsement and possibly a 22 endorsement as these are the aircraft you will likely be flying. If you find yourself going in for a check ride on a turbine then go and get your 206 endorsement before the check ride. Research the companies that you want to work for and show up with an endorsement on the aircraft that they will likely have you flying. If you are asked to come in for a check ride then go and do an hour or so before the ride. That will give you an edge!!! Think about it. If you show up at my door and I need a 44 driver who am I am I going to hire first.The guy with the endorsement (translation less money for me to get him up to speed) or the guy with the turbine or other endorsement. If you are that guy with the other endorsement than you had better give me one **** of a good ride and realistically, at 100 hours, that is probably not going to happen. When looking at hiring new low time pilots I am looking at attitude and company fit first followed by flying skills and how hard or easy I think it will be to train you.

Being in the business of selling flight training (or giving it, however you see it), I agree too, get the endorsement, perhaps a 44 endorsement, but don't spend too much time on the advanced machines. ANY company that hire you will have to give you aditional training to get up to THEIR standard, so other than an endorsement, the rest is just being extravagant.

Guest plumber

If I were to do it again I would 90 on the r-22 and 10 in the r-44. That will probably be one of the two machines you will start out in. Then think about putting the money you saved towards a Gas Plant Operators Course cause that just may be one of the first jobs you will be doing and it looks real good on a resume. Good luck.