Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Eagle 407hp

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I have read through all the press releases and have a few questions.

Will the internal/external gross weight change with this engine mod?

It states that it will burn 10% less fuel.Is this 10% less than the C-47B or to an engine comparable to the HTS900?

With this engine it will be in the same performance class as the AS350 B3.I hope Eagle can make this work.It will definitely change the intermediate market. :P

Guest Angry Egg Driver
Here's some pics.

I don't think anything was mentioned with regards to any gross weight increase. Just better temp/torque margins in hot/high conditions. The way I read it was that it is 20 percent less fuel than the rolls.

I think ya read wrong.

"The HTS900 engine delivers more than 1,000 Shaft Horsepower (SHP) and the lowest fuel consumption and highest power-to-weight ratio of any engine in its class," said Esposito. "The HTS900 upgrade delivers 10 percent lower fuel burn and on-condition maintenance with no hard time overhaul limits, achieving a 10 percent lower operating cost."

This also came out from Bell a few days ago.They have a new stc approving a 400lb increase in useful load.I would have a hard time believing that with that much of an increase in HP that they would not increase the external gross weight of the Eagle 407hp.

Bell, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, on Feb. 18 gained approval of Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) No. SR095531RC-D, which allows an increase of the 407's useful load by more than 400 pounds. Alternately, it may be used to increase the 407's in-ground-effect hover by about 3,000 feet. Those gains come with no loss of operational safety margin.

The STC draws on excess power available from the 407's Rolls-Royce 250-C47B engine to support revisions of the 407's performance charts for in-ground-effect and out-of-ground-effect hover. Specifically, it uses available power for up to 10 percent above minimum-specification engines for outside air temperatures up to 51.7 degrees C (125 degrees F).

Have had this talk before about this with bell about beefier skid gear to get the internal gross up and they said that would not happen as the crashworthiness is effected by using different gear and they would not allow a higher gross weight limit or something to that effect so if they are saying another 400 lbs they would have had to modify the airframe which they said they would not do...may be just the external is going up... who knows...talk to your bell rep :rolleyes: