Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Operating Outside The H-v Curve?

MMike

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the flight manual say? If the height velocity curve is published in the limitations section then does it constitute a limitation?

Depends what FM you are looking at Jim.

In the 205 it is in the limitation section.

In the 206 it is in the performance section.

I never checked in any other FM's

There is also the "engine power take off limitation" wow if you want to hurt yourself, follow that one. Mind you there is a reason why it is there.

JD

What does the flight manual say? If the height velocity curve is published in the limitations section then does it constitute a limitation?

Yes if the height velocity chart is in the limitations section it is a limit like gross weight, vne, C of G etc.

For example the S76A has a supplement that allows it to operate inside the HV curve, otherwise you would be bound to follow the HV chart in the limitations section in its flight manual, which would be difficult to abide by unless you only fly out of airports.

Great ppc question

I agree. The answer maybe hidden in the title of this Mag.

Then what is the point of the h-v curve?

I'm pretty sure I've noticed that helicopters CAN go straight up and down. So that's what you guys do most of the time? fly along at 1000 ft, find your landing spot, and just go straight down?

Gosh. I feel so enlightened now.

The most important thing I've learned on this forum? I now know why people say the things they do about pilots.