Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jetbox Down?

Winnie

I'm fairly conversant on activity in North Eastern Ont for the last 20 years and I 'm fairly confident saying there is nothing outstanding in this area in that time...Perhaps your thinking of the machine out Montreal on a night flight to North Bay 5 to 6 years ago that disappeared Massive search between Ottawa (last fueling point) and North Bay turned up nothing Anyway that machine was found by a timber cruiser in the duex riviere part of Algonguin park a little more than a year later poor weather night low time The younge pilot was a French national who came to Canada to live his dream Needless to say it turned into his nightmare...... Any way sorry for getting longwinded that is the only helicopter that was missing for any amout of time in this area...... I talked to the chief engineer of a small company this afternonn and he was not aware of any missing helicopter activity in the last couple of days

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I cannot say with authority, I have been told that a 206 in Northern Alberta did in fact beat itself up after the bush pad it landed on gave way. Seems the ship just rolled over and there were parts everywhere. Pilot O.K, just a little jumpy these days. Once again, I was not there, just passing on info that was passed on to me.

You bet there is twinstar! Wouldn't have wanted to be in the pilot's shoes though. You guessed right Mag, it was either limp home to put it in the pines. Seems like one of those 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't' situations. Gives me the heeby-jeebys thinking about it. :unsure:

Ryan ------- that type of incident may come to "visit" you one day, so here's a suggestion. Get the M & O Manual and read what the tolerances are for a bump, crease or tear of the blade skin on your particular a/c. Then look at a cut-away profile of that given blade. THEN, if and when that day should ever arrive, you can make that DECISION with KNOWLEDGE and converse with engineering on a phone with KNOWLEDGE........because you might just be ASKED to fly that a/c to someplace and "the buck stops with you" as to whether you are going to do that. Always remember that "you the boss" of that machinery at ALL times untill releived of that responsibility. In otherwards, ask engineers questions, read the M & O Manual and "know thy a/c like the back of your hand" because one of these days you may be out in the middle of nowhere and have a decison to make and can't get help or technical knowledge from anyone because the **** cell phone doesn't have coverage, etc. If in ANY doubt whatsoever, leave the "m.f'er" on terre firma. They make helicopters everyday....your parts are all back-ordered. :D

Ryan -----also follow that advice ALL the time..........because I didn't follow my own advice ALL of the time on various things ........THAT's also called "experience". So be better than me and then you won't need the "McPherson seatbelt". :D