Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fdc Filter Tracking

Lunchbox

We've been operating FDC filters for five years and have yet to have one needing replacing before the 100hrs cleaning. That includes working fires, seismic, drill moves, all kinds of work in dusty and erosive environments. That being said, we have spares to swap them out in the field as that's basically the only way you can adhere to the proper cleaning procedure. As long as you maintain them by the book with the FDC soap and oil, you'll be just fine.

Our electronic tech records keep track of all the hours, real time, regardless of how often they are swapped, without having to pull your hair out, specifically in the field.

Where I work they just use CHRs. I don't see how you can make it any simpler, and there is no issue with it providing that the field engineer fills out the paper work correctly and send the lob pages/updated CHRs in every now and then (weekly works well). That and it makes it a lot easier if the log book entry indicates where the filter was last installed (IE, indicate it was off C-FAAA when you're installing it on C-FBBB, and if you're removing it serviceable for from C-FAAA for C-FBBB indicate that it's for installation on that machine/maint conv.)

Oddly enough, we've gone to the 4500Hr life on the FDC filters, but have not changed the cleaning schedule... I really think they should just be OC/Annual; it's a bit of a pisser to be cleaning a perfect filter in the hotel bathtub because it did 100hrs of stopping nothing but snow. The hotel staff probably have similar thoughts.

• Like 1

This summer a Mark 4 from the fire crews, if used carefully, sure worked great. Just buy a K&N filter cleaning kit from Canadian Tire for the spares box. Then prop it up in the propane heated dry tent with the crew's coveralls to dry.

FDC calls for their own oil/cleaner, even though it's the same as K&N but blue.

Don't become an audit finding! :blink:

I assume the anti foam additive is to prevent foam being created when moist air (rain) is drawn thru the filter right? I highly doubt they're worried about the jugs contents bubbling as you bounce down a frozen access road to camp.

Is this considered excess foaming?

LOL Its too bad you can combine filter cleaning and compressor washes together and kill too birds with one stone.

I assume the anti foam additive is to prevent foam being created when moist air (rain) is drawn thru the filter right? I highly doubt they're worried about the jugs contents bubbling as you bounce down a frozen access road to camp.

Is this considered excess foaming?

LOL Its too bad you can combine filter cleaning and compressor washes together and kill too birds with one stone.

FDC/aerofilter's oil & cleaner are manufactured by completely different companies than what AFS/K&N uses. Our consumables have similar qualities, but do NOT share the same chemical makeup. So in short...they are different, that is why we do not authorize any off the shelf alternatives. Our consumables like theirs were engineered as a system to work in conjunction with the type of filter media being used which also is different from ours.