Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

First time I have seen it and it is a VERY nice gesture...

13 hours ago, John Deer said:

Last tour I was asked to extend a couple of days. When I was going done I got a thank you text from the owner, that wouldn’t have happened a few years ago!

That’s because everyone has left.  The pool of aircrew is drying up and everyone knows it.  Agreed, it’s usually a thankless industry

17 hours ago, CM119 said:

That’s because everyone has left.  The pool of aircrew is drying up and everyone knows it.  Agreed, it’s usually a thankless industry

It is for sure a thankless industry but the company I've been for 8 years of my career with has always treated me with respect. That alone has gained my loyalty. Are they perfect? No, but being treated well shouldn't be a rarity. The company before this one wouldn't even say good morning to me in the hangar and it didn't help they loaded their maintenance side with pilot haters. (Never understood that mentality) My current companies engineers are top notch fun humans. It isn't hard to be friendly you guys who are constantly looking for people should try it out for one season and see how many guys you need next year.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, freck said:

It is for sure a thankless industry but the company I've been for 8 years of my career with has always treated me with respect. That alone has gained my loyalty. Are they perfect? No, but being treated well shouldn't be a rarity. The company before this one wouldn't even say good morning to me in the hangar and it didn't help they loaded their maintenance side with pilot haters. (Never understood that mentality) My current companies engineers are top notch fun humans. It isn't hard to be friendly you guys who are constantly looking for people should try it out for one season and see how many guys you need next year.

I know and worked for a few companies like the one you described (and I’m sure I know the one you’re talking about).  

Some are no longer in existence thankfully. I never understood the pitting maintenance against pilot staff attitude either, it’s sick.  There’s also the pitting pilots against pilots and ames against ames that was at a couple of the aforementioned companies, that I do understand but vehemently disagree with.  The only reason management did that was to get more out of pilots and more out of ames for less $$$$ at the cost of creating a poison workplace (ames and pilots paying for their own type training, working for less than the last guy, working more hours for no extra pay or for free in some cases, etc.) 

I hate to say it but that mentality is still out there, I have yet to have seen it anywhere but in Canadas market.  
There is no cure for it except somehow enforcing better work conditions and pay, which will never happen in such a small, specialized industry.    

• Like 2

On 6/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, skidkicker said:

What a fantastic gesture.  I remember there was a tornado that knocked out power to the town and anyone that was around the hangar helped out the families of those that were out with the aircraft.  Generators, fuel, food.  It was amazing how everyone pitched in including the owner. 

That’s a little different, that’s humanitarian aid vs an employer actually caring about an employee.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Over the years I have been lucky enough to be employed by some good operators. On one occasion I was asked to change my schedule to accommodate a request from a customer but my Mother was visiting from Overseas so I initially declined. My employer offered to buy her a plane ticket and pay her hotel rooms, I accepted  and she hung out on the job with me for a few days flying concrete for a new ski lift. On another occasion employer bought plane tickets for my girlfriend so she could visit mid-tour. Current employer recently offered to let me take the machine to my home town so I could take my Dad for a flight which cost them non rev in a 212. All of these gestures were greatly appreciated. 

• Like 7