Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Most Powerful Light Twin

Except for the B06 my experience is with 212 and up, but I am wondering about light twins for power though. I am interested in the power margins on machines the size of a Twin Star, BO105 or A109.

Is there a machine out there that could be in a hover, loose a stove and just fly out with the remaining donkey pulling the cart, a torque split but otherwise not be breathing that hard? I know I can read the manufacturers numbers blah blah blah, but I am looking for real world experience from drivers who have flown these types.

Variables abound I know, but lets say just two crew, no cargo but full fuel, in and out of ground effect. Really just curious. :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know diddly about twin engine a/c but I did have the opportunity to test drive a 427 a few years ago. We were able to vertical out of a confined area with 5 pax and approx 750 lbs of fuel on board with one stove at idle. Mind you it was pretty low elevation (Mirabel) and a cool spring day.

my 2 cents worth!

From experience,

it is NOT the 105 :down:

it is not the 355F1 :down:

drove the 355N, once and it was awesome! Not a Puma but awesome ;)

Talked to some Norgie's in Norgieland last time I was there who drive the 109 doing harbor pilot hoisting and they say it out performs the 335N, there ya go!