Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Has anyone refused to fly and what was the outcome?

The Outcome with 90% of the operators in this industry will almost inevitably and ultimately be the same in the end...$afety / IM$AFE. 

It's preached everywhere to self-identify fitness to fly. But when you do, who knows how your decision will be interpreted. 

I have flown when I really shouldn't have been in the seat that day. Sometimes I knew it before firing up, and sometimes I found out real quick when flying itself. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done so. 

I suppose I never really spoke up because of macho-personality and I didn't know what the perception of the company would be.

• Like 2

That’s a fair and honest statement! I appreciate that. I think your correct, I think a lot of people have flown when in reality they probably shouldn’t have and I don’t think most people would admit that! 

In over 15 years in this industry I can attest I’ve only acted on this once and it was a parents death and the company asked me twice in a matter of 4 days to fly only days before the funeral even after I stated I was UNFIT to fly both times…. I immediately left that organization. 

They only care about the lost revenue, it’s surely not about your life or even their helicopter after all it’s all insured if you mess up but let’s be realistic here, they’ll be the first to hang you up to dry if you didn’t speak up! 

• Like 4

I'm fortunate to work somewhere that if I say I can't come in there is zero pressure. 

I have worked places where there was pressure though, and I have flown when I shouldnt have. At the end of the day, if you are fatigued, glued to a toilet, have stuff going on, whatever the reason, you made that call and they should respect you doing so in the sake of safety. Customers/company don't get bent out of shape  when the weather sucks, so "insert reason to not fly" should be no different. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tundra said:

you made that call and they should respect you doing so in the sake of safety. Customers/company don't get bent out of shape  when the weather sucks, so "insert reason to not fly" should be no different. 

Without any interest is starting an argument with you......

but two things here.

1.... can I get the name of your customers. 

2... I take it you have never moved drills.

Customers and companies don't get bent out of shape..... I call Bull$@/t......  lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pool pilot said:

Without any interest is starting an argument with you......

but two things here.

1.... can I get the name of your customers. 

2... I take it you have never moved drills.

Customers and companies don't get bent out of shape..... I call Bull$@/t......  lol.

You better be in jail or the emergency room and if you're in jail someone will come get you.  That's been my experience with drills/seismic/Heli ski , You may as well hop in the aircraft and fly home, cause they will be on the phone looking for a better pilot.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robottxt said:

You better be in jail or the emergency room and if you're in jail someone will come get you.  That's been my experience with drills/seismic/Heli ski , You may as well hop in the aircraft and fly home, cause they will be on the phone looking for a better pilot.

Never tried the jail part...... but did get calls a few hours after the crew change and they don't want the new pilot..... my answer.... I am time xed..... can't you just pretend you had some time off...... I am tired...... yeah but come on we need you.

Did you see all of the safety concerns in the above.

For us old guys this safety plan was common.

Thankfully I took work at a company where it is built in and expected. I can even speak up mid shift and declare that I am fatigued. Only rule is that I have to leave immediately, and sometimes they may ask that I use a cab rather than drive myself home.

• Like 4

This is where saying the wrong thing or saying too much can get you in all kinds of hot water both legal and the blacklist kind (how dare you besmirch the reputation of such a fine pilot and businessman, etc... I hear people gushing about what a great guy he is and I just shake my head.)  Looking back I always think of one very unpleasant owner who was so worried about the "reputation" of his company to get the job done that he berated me for not taking risks and overloading the machine to complete the job.  He said if i didn't go back and do it he would get the new guy to go and finish.  I was torn about completing the job myself or saying f it and he would have sent an inexperienced pilot to take risks that were even beyond what i would have considered safe or could manage and was very upset to the point that it affected my concentration and performance for days after and all he did was belittle me.  I no longer work there but others do and i think about the new guys that saw what he did or for that matter what I did and that i caved in and went back out.  What kind of message did the owner and/or i send for that matter to the new guys?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4