State of the industry for low-timers

1 hour ago, UggaDugga said:

Silverking is a rare gem, for sure

I think there’s one or two like that out there, probably the best bet for full time employment is a new culture ma and pa shop like that.  

3 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I think you will find pay has substantially changed in recent years drill guys making $170 

medium ski $200k

LOL I made WAY more than that my first year licensed as an AME back when things were actually decent (I did work for it and had a set rotation).

All guys my vintage still in Canada have commanded way more than that for the past two decades as contractors.  Most have thrown in the towel with Canada and flying and wrenching internationally.  The work just isn’t there.  Heli Skiing have god awful rates now and drill USED to have guys making nearly double what you state as full timers almost thirty years ago.

I’d love to see these drivers’ flight tickets and pay stubs as I know people at every single company you’ve mentioned and they have all painted quite a different picture.  

As for the schedule that should have always been something respected.  It took nearly thirty years for employers to return to it after globalization ffs.  Nothing to brag about or pitch, just something that should have always been there to respect people’s personal life.  The pay is still garbage!

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I think you will find pay has substantially changed in recent years drill guys making $170 

medium ski $200k

What are these companies paying for per diems?  Still $50-60/day and pocketing the rest that they charge the customer?  I know Canadas market way to well….

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, atari said:

So what do you make in the US then? All the job ads I see for AME’s down south pay around $40/hr. And I kind of doubt the maintenance is any good from what I’ve seen

You aren’t looking in the right places.  A&P’s have had a huge surge in rates in the past years.  9/11 severely hurt rates as did the big short in 2008.  They can’t get people fast enough.  A&P’s at Bristow make almost double that and more based on experience, just on rotation plus all the perks.  You also have to factor in their tax is less than half ours and dollar 33% stronger.  They’re also home more, the guys going out on rotation can make double that.  Do your research, I love working in the states!

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

medium ski $200k

Ya you haven’t been in this industry long enough, that or you’re one of the coolaide suckling, bootlicking malignant tumours in Canada.  Those rates were average 20 years ago for dingalings that could show up not smelling like a brewery and could start the machine without torching it.  I’m gonna miss this forum, y’all make me laugh

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I have yet to meet an AME that’s decided to work in the US and for a truly US company. 

You guys keep saying you make the big bucks so tell us, which company? 

I’m getting the feeling there was a reason you had to leave Canada.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Tundra said:

I’m getting the feeling there was a reason you had to leave Canada.

…… what kind of insinuation is that?  I coulda stayed if I wanted, just had better opportunities elsewhere, incidentally outside Canada.  Most of our customers are in the states and pay for our knowledge and skill due to the lack of it on certain products.  I get offers to work for customers in Canada all the time, it’s just not worth it.  You need to get out more, you’re either not well travelled or haven’t been in the game that long.  Most AME’s I know are working outside Canada or out of it altogether (they couldn’t do the travel anymore).  Let me guess, you work FOR a bc company… or with a name like “tundra” more deservingly, one of the territories or  Nunavut/Nunavik  😒 

23 hours ago, CM119 said:

last I did there was around 1000-1500 commercially registered helicopters in Canada (about 2-2500 total)

According to this there are only 890 helicopters left in Canada, I thought the numbers you stated were correct but according to the registry they’re high. 😳

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/CCARCS-RIACC/RchAvcRes.aspx?m=||&cn=||&mn=||&sn=||&wf=0&wt=1000000&iy=%%&aac=2&ne=%%&ce=%%&rp=%%&fr=%%&in=||&ay=%%&ac=%%&sc=%%&on=||&tn=||&c=||&r=%%&p=%%&pc=||&mo=A&rfr=RchAvc.aspx

Edit:  somethings up with the advanced search, there’s 3001 as of 2023 year end.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/CCARCS-RIACC/SmYACat.aspx

• Like 1
  • Confused 1