Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helmet Issues

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the tip, 407.

My problem is that my melon is too big for the SPH-4B and 5, according to the Gentex sizing charts. I'm pretty much stuck with the HGU-56.

I finally pestered TransAero enough that someone replied to me (only after I e-mailed Gentex to express my concern). They're still a long way from providing good customer service, but at least I'm making progress.

As far as the Alpha goes, I took a long hard look at them. I decided to go with the HGU instead, because the Alpha was an extra $800 for ANR, and didn't offer the CEP option.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the tip, 407.

My problem is that my melon is too big for the SPH-4B and 5, according to the Gentex sizing charts. I'm pretty much stuck with the HGU-56.

I finally pestered TransAero enough that someone replied to me (only after I e-mailed Gentex to express my concern). They're still a long way from providing good customer service, but at least I'm making progress.

As far as the Alpha goes, I took a long hard look at them. I decided to go with the HGU instead, because the Alpha was an extra $800 for ANR, and didn't offer the CEP option.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with with 407D I bought my helmet thru Goverment Sales and they are good people to deal with. I bought an xtra large SPH 5 Gentex thru them 8 years ago and it is still going strong. I also upgraded to the Oregon Aero hush kit and it works well for me too. The only thing I found odd about Gov Sales is that if you want to run an amber lens (dual visor) They cant help you because military visor systems are reversed or something like that...they can explain it all i cant remember the whole story.

I agree with with 407D I bought my helmet thru Goverment Sales and they are good people to deal with. I bought an xtra large SPH 5 Gentex thru them 8 years ago and it is still going strong. I also upgraded to the Oregon Aero hush kit and it works well for me too. The only thing I found odd about Gov Sales is that if you want to run an amber lens (dual visor) They cant help you because military visor systems are reversed or something like that...they can explain it all i cant remember the whole story.

I special-ordered an "outer" amber lens from Flightsuits. My dual visor kit is US Army surplus (dark inner lens and clear outer lens), which is the opposite to the standard civvie setup. I actually like it better that way as I use the dark lens more often than the amber one. The little actuating lever on the left edge of the visor housing is much more convenient than the knob for the outer lens. The cost of the lens was identical to the inner one advertised in the FS catalog. It just took about two weeks extra to get it...

The problem ( I've heard) with Flightsuits now is...the moment that you say that you're from Canada, they kick you out and send you to some no-name company in New York who has the "Canadian franchise" for Gentex sales in Canada..or something like that. Two people have told me the same story now.

UH, disregard that, W Squared told us all that a month ago I now see, Doh !

Skidz is correct, there's something different about how Flightsuits Vs Government sales do Dual visors.

I'm now running an Amber inner and a dark outer.