Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hours

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharkbait: You are right in your comments, but only repeating what has already been stated. My comments are for the pilots to make up their own mind on flying hours and or the company keeping aware of the situation on a daily basis. If a pilot is fatigued he has the right to ground himself or the company can. Few companies will do it, because it effects revenue.

The only time an actual emergency exists is when there is life involved and even then, it is questionable.

Tree's will grow again and houses can be rebuilt.

I have worked Search & Rescue (in the service), been on lot's of fires and had a guy die at a camp when I refused to fly him into a local airstrip at night.

Had I flown him into the local strip at night he would not receive any better treatment than he was presently receiving as he would not have been flown out till the next morning.

The question was put to me if I would fly him out????

My response was as follows: I was flying a 212 with all the instrumentation and the only other person I could rely on was my engineer. This of course was in Africa and when it's dark, it is really dark.

I was putting my life, engineers life and first aid attendent and of course the person who had the heart attack, life in jeopardy.

My instrument rating had never been used and I was not qualified to fly under those conditions.

Needless to say the body was flown out the next morning.

DOWNWASH: You can check this story with your chief engineer, he was with me.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A DECISION, MAKE THE RIGHT ONE.

REMEMBER THE "FIRE BOSS" IS NOT DOING THE FLYING.

ELVIS:

You are so right.

They get up before us, go to bed after us and most of times work a heck of a lot harder than we do too.

I don't think we can do justice in this forum to them.

They sure have saved my butt a good many times.

Blackmac:

A heartrending call but the correct one.

Someone once wanted us to fly 200 miles in a single otter to land on a lake at night in a snowstorm to pick up a heart attack victim . No NDB no lights on either end. I do not think anyone had an IFR. Naturaly everyone refused.

They then came back about 15 minutes later and really got heavy handed as the poor man had passed away and they were in panic mode. We had to get the body out as it was "bad for morale in the camp". (No kidding ) :wacko: Naturaly we refused again.

The weather finally cleared 2 days later before someone got in from Schefferville to remove the deceased.

Cheers.

Biggles:

Soon - very soon. Inform XK47.

Blackie and 'bait

Agree 100% with your basic premises. I just don't want anyone telling me that I can't fly more hours than 'normal' if the authority with jurisdiction says I can.

In other words, regardless of whoever SHOULD set flight time and duty time limitations, Transport Canada set them NOW. If they've seen fit to raise the bar for the government-declared emergency, and I know I'm fit, unfatigued, and able to achieve the increased limits, I'll do it - with due regard to all safety considerations AND my company's and my own pocketbooks - for which I make NO apology, to ANYONE. B)

Downwash: I agree with Your post to a point. If You persoanly feel that You can exceed the TC limits under the current emergency excemptions than go for it.

But is there the possibility that a few non fit pilots will see the $$$ and go for it.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Question:

How might a pilot in the following scenario view the extension?

48 yrs old, senior but not ready to retire, put in a long summer already, becoming worn down by the pace of the past few weeks fighting fires, looking fwd to an upcoming few days legislated rest when his boss calls with the good news that she/he can now fly an additional 30 hrs this 30 day block due to the extension and is expected to 'be there' for the company.

I personally may not fair as well as a 24 year old by the time I reached 48 and the above circumstance, which is a little different from the above situations. How would some of you view this?

Elvis, I'm uncertain what you mean. What I mean, is that I'll go to the limits allowed by the exemption IF I feel up to it, and 100', both your hypothetical 48 year-old and this XX year-old better have the balz to tell the boss, no, if we don't feel 100% confident and safe about it. As the man once said, "I was looking for a job when I found this one." B)