Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mountain Performance Of The 350b3

The B2 performace drops quickly after 8000 and 20. I like the B3 but try finding one for under 1.6 or so used. Wait list for a new one is long. I think there is better value out there for most applications

The one machince people are forgetting here is the L4 with the high alt t/r. It is amazing, it really isnt an L. It will walk around the B2 up high, and suposedly the 407.

jfk, thanks for the info! I haven't considered the L4, but I just looked at the specs and it is more than I expected. I seem to be getting the same opinion elsewhere about the B3 - "buy one if you can afford one. Otherwise, think about something else." I haven't talked to any of the tour operators down in HI or NV, but I assume that corporate money is financing their lovely fleets of B3's - cause I have no idea how you could be sitting on 10 Million in aircraft (unless you are flying 20 hours a day). For the little guy like myself, another option like the L4 may be the ticket.

A big concern for me is the performance factor for flying (not hovering) at 14k. And more importantly, making it possible on a non-corporate budget. Since you have the experience of the rockies and NW (anyone else chime in here as well), what do you think of maintenance facilities around this area? Not asking for recommendations, but I am just curious if the B2/B3's or the L4's would have more options (essentially local support). My current interest is Colorado (and maybe Utah). thx everyone!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting about the L4, It is a great machine but our B3 was lifting two L4 loads at 9000 this summer, the L4 pilot was even impressed! Pilot skills at these altitudes, must be taken into consideration!

Shaggy,

Our B3 is 2850 lbs fully operationaly ready to go out flying. You may want to look at the purchase cost of a used L4, they really are no cheaper than a used B3, trust me I looked this spring. Only advantage is what your hanger and door is configured for!

212 Wrench,

The DOC is much cheaper than a 205++, Tarriff on the B3 is around $1700-1780 per hour vs $2500-2600 per hour on the 205. Fuel burn is 205 liters per hour, vs 600lbs a hour on the 205, The 205 still has its place but so does the 350B3.

I am not sure what to say about the Lama, it was a great machine in its time, but out perform the B3 I have not seen the local guy do such a thing yet??

The B3 is not the end all of aircraft, but performance for its size, it is a wonderful aircraft to fly. Crew love the features, clients love the job satisfaction. Any machine that can land/takeoff at an altitude of Mt Everest, has to have anyones respect in this industry whether you like Eurocopter or not!

In the next year or two when the Honeywell LTS FADEC -800 is available to the civilian world, this engine will be something to contend with in the 407 and Astar...All I can say is WOW!

Mountian Flyer,

You should look into the Soloy or HeliLynx Honeywell conversion kits. You Find a well used BA or D model, refurb it into one of these kits and you have one **** of a helicopter, without the HUGE price tag. The LTS versions I flew where only limited by the flight manual. I know that the FX2 (HeliLynx) kit, they are looking for another 300lbs external added onto what it was initially certified for!

Something you should consider on a 'budget!'

Mountian Flyer,

You should look into the Soloy or HeliLynx Honeywell conversion kits. You Find a well used BA or D model, refurb it into one of these kits and you have one **** of a helicopter, without the HUGE price tag. The LTS versions I flew where only limited by the flight manual. I know that the FX2 (HeliLynx) kit, they are looking for another 300lbs external added onto what it was initially certified for!

Something you should consider on a 'budget!'

T-Rex, thanks for the great info. I was actually looking at the HeliLynx conversion kit the other day. I was planning on giving them a call next week to start getting more info. I will also look into the Soloy option as well.

Since you mention the Everest accomplishment, does anyone know what (if any) mods were made on that A-Star? I didn't get the impression that it was an off-the-assembly-line model, but I never saw any specifics.

:up: you all are awesome. Thanks for helping out!

The B3 would be the ticket, but can you afford to operate one or buy one. Just figure you could but 3 -4 lama's for a single b3 if you could find one. Have any idea what and engine for one costs if you can get one. Even a 1d1 for the b2 is almost 400K. IMO when these LTS motors start becoming available, it is going the be the future.

T-rex is on the money. I would look at the FX2 the problem is I dont think it has been certified yet in the US. 400K for the kit or so.

I talked to someone who was flying one in WY this year and it sounds like the business.

I was raised on Astars and 500's so for me to be praising the broom closet is pretty amazing. I like flying lawn furniture covered in tupperware. But I have been impressed with the l4 with the t/r kit.

One suggestion is know your market. The markets you speak of are very tough and fairly sewed up. Places you would think could sustain a helicopter, havent over the years. I can only think of a few company's that have been around for the long haul. New ones seem to come and go.

Having flown extensively in that area, I would be more concered with performance between 7-10K. You are very rarely ( if ever) going to be working @ 14K. The highest I ever landed was in the high 13's on Kendal outside of Silverton in the B2.

Good luck

JFK

T-Rex, thanks for the great info. I was actually looking at the HeliLynx conversion kit the other day. I was planning on giving them a call next week to start getting more info. I will also look into the Soloy option as well.

Since you mention the Everest accomplishment, does anyone know what (if any) mods were made on that A-Star? I didn't get the impression that it was an off-the-assembly-line model, but I never saw any specifics.

:up: you all are awesome. Thanks for helping out!

According to their reports its “serial” whatever that means (serial production helicopter, or no modifications – stock). I suppose they just took apart all the stuff they didn’t really need.

I really like the Ecureuil from the first time I saw it. However wasn’t lucky enough to fly one.

Anyhow, report with confirmed records you can find here:

http://www.eurocopter.com/publications/FO/...amp;news_id=373

also some nice photos from the event:

http://www.eurocopter.com/everest/

MountianFLyer,

A company in the Calgary Alberta area, Abitibi Helicopters has one or two FX2's and is getting I believe 4 more. They do alot of high altitude work in the WY, CO,UT area in the USA. The B2 just ain't keeping up!

You mentioned that you are looking for advice on factory training? Usually you can't go wrong with this decision, they have the personnal, knowledge, and training aids to make your time there well spent! It is a good start for initial or type training. Operational training, you may want to look elsewhere!!

JFK,

What does the law in the FAR's state about flight over 10000 in the US? Oxygen must be available or worn????

Now what is amazing is Denali National Park. Evergreen Heli, I believe the pilots name was Jim, was making rescues at 19000, three in one day!!!!! Hats off to that man!!!! That machine has to be a 'bag of jello' at those heights, he is not only flying that heli he is working it!!