Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A-star Awd

Max Continuous

Depending upon how you interpret the directive.....pilots are no longer allowed to carry out the daily t/r insp. on the A-Star.

Some companys are looking at it like ....as long as the "Pilot visual inspection" reveals no defects, then all is well. If a defect is suspected....then you must use an instrument (x10 mag. glass) operated by an A.M.E. This is really open for debate!

Check out the Tips site. If anyone can clarify .....bring it on! Otherwise it should be a real rodeo come audit time!!

Regards,

Max

Depending upon how you interpret the directive.....pilots are no longer allowed to carry out the daily t/r insp. on the A-Star.

Some companys are looking at it like ....as long as the "Pilot visual inspection" reveals no defects, then all is well. If a defect is suspected....then you must use an instrument (x10 mag. glass) operated by an A.M.E. This is really open for debate!

Check out the Tips site. If anyone can clarify .....bring it on! Otherwise it should be a real rodeo come audit time!!

Regards,

Max

I just got the call today from the dom about it and I was told that we (engineers) are going to have to sign it out from now on..... An engineer for every a-star is gonna be tough when you are hard up as it is.

Regards,

Max

Yeah, this has the potential to be a real goatf*ck. It was the main topic of discussion at the hangar today. As of right now we aren't changing a thing. I'm going with HAC's assessment that states that neither the EASB or TCCA can change law (elementary tasks as defined in the CAR's) by changing the contents of an AD. I believe that there is supposed to be some clarification planned for next week....we'll see. The only debate right now that I see is whether or not a regulatory body can change law by issuing an AD. If the answer is yes...well let the rodeo begin. If not... then same old, same old.

Nothing but MD 500's and AS350's on the ground if the current situation is changed.

My 2 cents (or less). :wacko:

Can anyone provide a link to this May 17 TCCA Safety Information Note? I went to the CA website and still couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance,

JR

ps- The only evidence of this letter I found is in the e-mail forwarded to me from HAC.

pps- What the **** is a Safety Information Note? :unsure:

Can anyone provide a link to this May 17 TCCA Safety Information Note? I went to the CA website and still couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance,

JR

ps- The only evidence of this letter I found is in the e-mail forwarded to me from HAC.

pps- What the **** is a Safety Information Note? :unsure:

Sorry, I'm just a concerned driver. You may have to check with the "ministry of uncertain things" :lol: Actually ....what the heck is a safety information note!?!?

Max

so it sound as though this is the same thing as with the 500 blades the pilots are un able to use the special tools (magnifying glass and flash light) is that right :unsure:

this is starting to get a little much i mean what pilot hasn't used a magnifying glass as a kid? :blink: on a friend, ants, or some wood to start a.......... ok it was a long time ago and i don't remember a thing. but at least this inspection can be done when doing your di the 500 one has really sucked.

although true T-rex, the EASA verison of the AD states that the pilot can carry out the inspection... TC has once again stepped up to the plate to simply be different (and wreak havoc) and has added this to theirs....

""Note: This check can be carried out by an appropriately trained pilot." has been determined to exceed the privilege extended under STD 625 appendix A (29) and therefore must be carried out by an appropriately qualified Aircraft Maintenance Engineer as per CAR 571.10. Canadian owners are advised that all inspections must be carried out in accordance with CAR 571.10 "