Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopters

xrkyle

I am reading this in disgust.How dare you lump me in with tree huggers I was born on the west coast Iand I can say for sure that I am NOT A TREE HUGGER not even 33%.If you are so worried about the environment quit flying. How many pollutents does the aircraft you are training on produce.

I am irritated enough about this I am only going to say one more thing BULLSHIT

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask why everyone is predicating their responses with "I'm NOT a tree hugger??" I'm not sure there's anything wrong with being one, as this is the ONLY planet we've got for the time being, and if it weren't for the "huggers" out there, industry can/would/does take EVERYTHING they can. There needs to be balance.

I don't think it takes a Rocket Scientist to figure out the course we're on isn't sustainable, whether that be oil and gas, or the logging as it exists. If you truly think it is, can you pass the Cool Aid?

Carry on.

AR

Touchy subject and I'm not sure how to answer it. I'd be lying if I said that the impact of flying helos never crossed my mind, both in the amount of fuel they burn and in the kind of industries that they rely on. There are alot of good points that have already been brought up: helos have much less impact than road building, not all flying is resource extraction, if not you then someone else. I've used these to 'justify' flying to myself.

I used to be one of those 'tree-huggers from Vancouver'. I've been working in and around fishing, forestry and mining since then and I've realized that the arguement that these industries put bread on the table and keep remote communities alive is in fact, true. I don't think that logging should be stopped, but I do think that areas of old growth should be set aside (as has happened in the north coast land use agreement). On the island, I wish that logging companies would allow second growth to reach 100yrs+ instead of shooting for a 60 year rotation (these shorter rotations are more feasible in the interior for sure). I'm not against mining or drilling for oil and gas, but I support those who argue for no drill zones in sensitive areas such as the calving grounds of caribou on the north slope.

Industry that helos support and rely on is the lifeblood of many northern and remote communities. I'd be a fool to be against it as I and many, many others would be out of work. But it has to be done right and I think that Canada, while certainly not perfect, is on the right path.

I respect those that come out and voice their concerns and risk being labelled tree-huggers etc etc. I think many of us got into flying in the first place to get out and see this amazing country and most wouldn't like to see it succumb to rape and pillage by non-regulated industry. Luckily, in my mind anyway, this isn't happening.

There ya have it. My two cents.

Auto Relight and Coastal; :punk: Very well put! You make solid points and give well reasoned arguments.

Huey Lover; :down: I don't even know where to start. I don't think it would do any good anyway. On second thought, why don't you try popping your "ME BUBBLE"; its amazing what you can learn when you're not completely obsessed with your own agenda!

gc

Its interesting to look at the opinions going in both ways here... However GC i think huey lover may have been quoting something there... ive seen that on a faller's t-shirt befor.

I think the key is sustainablity. I did some work for a seminar on water quality and watched an expo on vehical impact on the environment be setup by three guys that just got out of a ford excursion. Food for thought.

I also know an A340 pilot that drives a smart car.

I've been reading the comments left by everybody and everybody is entitled to their opinion, I for one love this place, I love everything about it, but the main thing that I strongly believe is that if you want to be a "tree hugger" so be it, maybe I am one, but more than likely not, I use tree's for what I need it for, I use a piece of steel for whats it made, I certainly use all the gas and oil I want. Its all about how you respect what you use from this earth we live on. And the one thing I love to do is hunt and fish, and I take what I need not what I see. I would not beable to hunt and fish if there no more forests or clean rivers for fish to strive. I look at a tree and think, how old is it? or a rock, how long has it been there? I can only guess to what age the tree is and would be precise if I lobbed it down. I stop and think, what if the tree could talk? What if the rock could talk? maybe I am crazy, but who cares. I fly helicopters for the love of the game, and right now I am still in love and have been flying helicopters for 13 years and have voiced my opinion to those drillers, to those presidents of large companies, they could care less, I said what I had to say, they respect me more for talking to them rather than being a sheep and just follow along behind them and say yes sir, right away sir. I will show them things I know and they show me things I didn;t know about the environment. In the end, what will tree huggin get, a nice big hug from another tree huger, "we tried tree hugger"

Its all about money........................

I think the carbon footprint of helicopters is very small compared to the airline industry. I just watched a TV show, in which a photographer took a 8 hour time elapse photo of the USA sky. It was white with contrails from the jets and the sky was a daytime cloudless event. What we are doing is locating the fuel for the transport industry to keep society going. And the last time I looked at us aviation people, we are society.