Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Carbon Foot Print Calculator

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you're truly interested in "going green", helicopters is the wrong industry to be involved in. I don't design them, i just fly em. When they introduce the a B3 version of the Prius I'll fly that with a smile, but in the mean time...

*Could* there be any viable alternatives to petroleum-product based heli systems?

Could electricity, bio-fuels, hydrogen cells, etc ever reach a point where they could yield similar performance outputs? Or is air travel as a whole pretty much chained to the oil barrel?

a small nuclear powerplant would be ideal....but then we have the whole chernobyl concerns everytime someone rolls one up into a ball.....Poor old NTSB wouldn't touch that wreck with a 10ft pole let alone...if there was anything left.

I'm designing a concept as we speak.....look for photo's soon......by gosh and by golly I'm gonna be rich with my AS350 BA to BASUPERDUPERXFACTOREXTREME conversions........

*Could* there be any viable alternatives to petroleum-product based heli systems?

I just saw two days ago where the USAF is pushing research into converting fossil fuel (coal) to jet fuel. Thought it was interesting; only two plants in the world that currently do it. Hmmm...

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/03/22/1...l-to-fuel-plans

I have a hard time accepting the thoughts of Mr. Suzuki, and Mr. Al Gore. This kick for global warming and the new craze of biofuel is for the birds. A few questions to ask yourself before you feel bad about passing gas which may cause the room temp to rise .05 deg Celsius:

1- Ethanol/Hydrogen....... how much fossil fuels do you burn to create enough ethanol/hydrogen to make it worth the effort to create so every one can convert their gas jobs over? Why else would oil companies sell a watered down fuel for the same price (example Husky, and BP) if it didn't make them more money? Have not tested this but heard Ethanol hides water in gasoline. For example using ethanol blended fuel in a Piston engine a/c, drain tanks and no separation of water (will test when price of Gasoline comes down).

2 - Global Warming........ Didn't Mr. Suzuki preach to us Canadians about Global Cooling about 10 years ago? (Personally I think he is an old hippie who found a new "friend" with a fat cheque and his name on it). I was NE of Fort Mac from Jan 1st to Feb 15th, it was -52C one morning (according to the astar turkey gauge) with no sign of MR Gore or Suzuki telling me the planet is warming up.

3 - Food prices....... How much will a loaf of bread cost when countries like the USA and Canada cut into their food (i.e. Wheat, Barley, Canola) to dilute their oil products. Wheat is at an all time high since the 1940s because most farmers are growing canola and corn for biodiesel and ethanol.