Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Concorde Batteries

CIEH

I went through 3 Concords in an Astar one summer (300 hours). I was doing a lot of short runs and drum refueling daily. The company started bench-charging the Concords as often as possible after that and the batteries would last a little longer. These aren't deep-cycle batteries and don't seem to like big discharge cycles very much (like fueling out of drums 3-4 times per day). They're still a lot better than the old Ni-Cads though...

From a pilot's operational perspective, (be nice please)

Flying B2 with a 9 month old concorde w/ lot's of refueling, often 2+ barrels at a shot and starts started getting slow. Put new battery in, in the summer, and started having a smoke or something to eat to let oil cooler fan de-activate before refueling (amazing what happens when you watch other people on same machine refuel!), and then in the winter at -20 or more if the machine sat for more than 14 hours I pulled the battery. Voltage was set at 28.5(sometimes more depending on how my gps felt) as well on the new one. Lots of starts and shutdowns on both.

The last battery installed is the same age now as when the other got pulled and still going strong. This may seem obvious as well but I check the temp of battery before first morning start w/ my hand when it's cold out. If it doesn't feel warm,regardless if the blanket is working, pull it and wait 1/2 hour. Have noticed that Concordes with one or two cold starts don't last much longer after that. So far so good and my DOM is happy.

Zazu

thanks helofixer for helping the guy above. seemed pretty effing sarcastic. i might not be totally computer master. but i do know how to look things up as needed. i did put the website and where to go to find info. this is all about sharing info if one wishes to share. for me i look at this forum for some info as well as other sights. takes the guess work out of a lot of stuff.

Hey, Lighten up zeroairspeed. There is no sarcasim involved ay all! I went to the site that you posted and couldn't find anything from there. You stated you didn't know how to post a link so I was just trying to help you out!! JEEZ!

PS: Thanks Helofixer :D:D

Hey, Lighten up zeroairspeed. There is no sarcasim involved ay all! I went to the site that you posted and couldn't find anything from there. You stated you didn't know how to post a link so I was just trying to help you out!! JEEZ!

PS: Thanks Helofixer :D:D

ok, accepted.. long day. and thanks for the info

We were going through Concordes like CornFlakes until we bumped up the Voltage to approx, 29V like the manual says. We also do the capacitance check as prescribed in the manual with no issues so far.

One very important thing is NOT to start the helicopter in the cold if the battery is not warm (battery blanket or kept inside hangar at night) otherwise, she's hooped!

We used to operate Ni-cads but after loosing two batteries from Thermo runaway on two different A/C, we converted the fleet (3 Astars, 205, 3 EC120) to Concordes and once we bumped up the voltage and figured out they don't like the cold, they've been good.

They are however not as forgiving as Ni-cads. Don't let them drain, always use an APU to power up the electrical system when troubleshooting, programing GPS etc.

We bought a battery charger/maintainer from Goulet aircraft that de-sulphates and maintains the battery.

Always put a topping charge on a battery before installation.

Really important: Only use a constant voltage charger on a Concorde battery. Never use a constant current charger.

A constant voltage charger won't allow the voltage to exceed 28 volts. It will reduce the current as the battery charges up.

A constant current charger will maintain the current and increase the voltage as the battery charges up. You will fry the battery.

From a pilot's operational perspective, (be nice please)

Zazu

Zazu!! Did Grant smack you one yet?

The concordes we use in the 214 only get a couple of starts per day but get a lot of charge hours. We have good luck with the set at 29 to 29.5 in winter and 28.5 to 29 in summer. They do like the higher charge rate with no ill effects. We have had some last up to 3 years.

I have had good luck with the Concords, they are disposables, but maintain good performance right to the end. But once they are dead, they are dead!!!!

I had a Grasshopper leave the battery on (overnight) after recording the cycles one winter. The next day we used the one from the other A/C to get a start but then the dead battery did not even have enough in it to flash the field and bring the Generator on line!!!!

I have never heard of running at 29.5v, I think I'll try that!

I have had good luck with the Concords, they are disposables, but maintain good performance right to the end. But once they are dead, they are dead!!!!

I had a Grasshopper leave the battery on (overnight) after recording the cycles one winter. The next day we used the one from the other A/C to get a start but then the dead battery did not even have enough in it to flash the field and bring the Generator on line!!!!

I have never heard of running at 29.5v, I think I'll try that!

yep. works good. gets the most out of the battery. of course how the battery is used will dictate the amount of years you get out of it.. I fluked on the manual a year or so ago. i posted the site at the beginnning. it gives you the recommended voltage.

I just doing a little give back as i pick up a few things here as well. its all good