Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Crew Housing

I think age plays into this topic. In my 20's I stayed in some awfull shite holes and even elected to sleep in the helicopter for a week or two rather than the MNR flight crew trailers. Mind you I do vaguely recall someone warm and cuddly to share the helicopter with. They where not the most comfortable accomadations but we just laughed and shrugged it off. Now as a crusty old fart of 48 I would find it unacceptable. I guess what I'm saying is that short term contact work is a young mans game. The lodging is going to be the luck of the draw. Operators or customers are not going to build a five star hotel in Butt ***k Manitoba just to move a drill around for a few weeks.

There's a new topic. Who's spent time in the Bell hotel?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think age plays into this topic. In my 20's I stayed in some awfull shite holes and even elected to sleep in the helicopter for a week or two rather than the MNR flight crew trailers. Mind you I do vaguely recall someone warm and cuddly to share the helicopter with. They where not the most comfortable accomadations but we just laughed and shrugged it off. Now as a crusty old fart of 48 I would find it unacceptable. I guess what I'm saying is that short term contact work is a young mans game. The lodging is going to be the luck of the draw. Operators or customers are not going to build a five star hotel in Butt ***k Manitoba just to move a drill around for a few weeks.

There's a new topic. Who's spent time in the Bell hotel?

The Bell Hotel?

Yes, we loved those condos in Bedford. Great weather, automobile of choice, maid service and recreational centre with hot tub and pool.

Bullet,

I wasn't intending to single you out at all, just wanted to make the point as one who's been on the dark side that the fixed-wing world isn't all about making way too much money to fly 2 trips a month to Europe.

A fair comparison? Maybe comparing the lifestyle/payscale of the 212 driver to the Twin Otter Captain in some remote location, or the 206 pilot to the guy/gal driving a 185 in northern Ontario might be more realistic.

Back on topic though..... anybody ever stay in the pink crew-condo's that NMH had in Mackenzie?

the best crew housing I did was in Abottsford for the yellow fleet. Either the condo or at the Rio. NOt bad at all.

Could not agree more!! The only thing missing is a vehicle for us transient bums. But, not really a biggy. Hold it!! I just remembered, the last time I was there I had a vehicle. Sorry Mr. Campbell!!

I do bad!!

Guest Bullet Remington
What a GREAT question ! Do we bring anything more to the job than just our labour?

Huh??Ah... Yeah! We sure as heck do, or at least we'd better! Here's a couple we SHOULD be bring to the job, if we want these shown to us;

1) A very positive attitude;

2) Concern for the customer, the employer, the engineer, the machine and for our selves;

3) An appreciation for the employer ( he gave us the job) The customer ( he/she is paying the employer, who pays us; The engineer ( he stays up all night so we can stay up all day) and our sleves, we made it to a flying job!

4) Respect! Respect for all those listed above and for those that have been around, and around, and around etc, etc; the block many more times then us,and are still going around it! Use that respect to learn from them cuz yáll won't ever live long enough to make the mistakes they've made. Not only that, some of those obnoxiuos old coots have earned it way beyond we can imagine. Yáll think that times are hard NOW , try doing this crap back in the 60's!!

You bring respect to the job, you will be accorded the same. And evetually, y 'all will be making the big bucks as well. But do know, there is no automatic entitlement, just because anyone has plunked down $40 to $60 k for a drivers license! One, not unlike respect, has to earn the opposrtunity to make the big bucks. Which in hind sight is rather easy to do. The hard part of it all?? Is the respect. getting it and retaining it!!

A quote from BEE BEE,

Wow. I just started in this industry and don't think I will be in it any longer than it takes to pay back the money I borrowed for my license, if I even last that long (it's a pretty big loan). And who looses? I think we all do.

Oh yeah ??? We all lose as you walk away with an attitude like that ??? I don't think so.

I feel our fellow workers, employers and customers would all benefit to not listen to that crap anymore.

And another gem from our vocal newbie......

I am a highly trained and skilled professional. What I lack is the experience to enhance my skills.

BeeBee, the longer you will spend in this industry the more you will realise that skills and training are a very small part of the career. They are just needed to keep you alive while you gain the true key to our industry........and that is experience.

Even after 24 years at this, every new day I realise how crucial experience is.

And there's only one way to get it. Simply shut up and fly.

Argue with me all you want........

You won't realise what I'm talking about until you've spent a few more years behind the cyclic.

But with an attitude like yours, I don't know too many employers that would let that happen.

Back to the topic....crew housing.

One of the great things about crew houses (good or bad) is the great exchange of information between senior pilots and engineers to those that are still new to the business........that is, if the newbies are listening!!

Guest BeeBee
A quote from BEE BEE,

Wow. I just started in this industry and don't think I will be in it any longer than it takes to pay back the money I borrowed for my license, if I even last that long (it's a pretty big loan). And who looses? I think we all do.

Oh yeah ??? We all lose as you walk away with an attitude like that ??? I don't think so.

I feel our fellow workers, employers and customers would all benefit to not listen to that crap anymore.

And another gem from our vocal newbie......

I am a highly trained and skilled professional. What I lack is the experience to enhance my skills.

BeeBee, the longer you will spend in this industry the more you will realise that skills and training are a very small part of the career. They are just needed to keep you alive while you gain the true key to our industry........and that is experience.

Even after 24 years at this, every new day I realise how crucial experience is.

And there's only one way to get it. Simply shut up and fly.

Argue with me all you want........

You won't realise what I'm talking about until you've spent a few more years behind the cyclic.

But with an attitude like yours, I don't know too many employers that would let that happen.

Back to the topic....crew housing.

One of the great things about crew houses (good or bad) is the great exchange of information between senior pilots and engineers to those that are still new to the business........that is, if the newbies are listening!!

Cheers mate.......so insightful!!