Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Crew Housing

Lets hear all about it. the good, the bad, the ugly, the cheap, the loud, the dirty. seems like a lot of operators want their crews to live in conditions they would never live in at home and in most cases on the job. Just another reason you can,t keep guys in the industry. Look around at any other industry and see if they put up their guys in old trailers, over crowded houses, or above hangers. Most of time you are lucky if these places are cleaned once a week. Bad eniough you got to work all day with these slobs, but you should not have to live with them too. I guess you figure where I stand, lets hear your stories.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets hear all about it. the good, the bad, the ugly, the cheap, the loud, the dirty. seems like a lot of operators want their crews to live in conditions they would never live in at home and in most cases on the job. Just another reason you can,t keep guys in the industry. Look around at any other industry and see if they put up their guys in old trailers, over crowded houses, or above hangers. Most of time you are lucky if these places are cleaned once a week. Bad eniough you got to work all day with these slobs, but you should not have to live with them too. I guess you figure where I stand, lets hear your stories.

Sounds Like Canadian's crew trailer in Ft Nelson :down:

I must have been lucky.

I've stayed in some crew houses that were quite nice.

Made myself right at home.

I also don't wait for someone else to clean up after me. I keep my own environment clean.

To each their own.

I must have been lucky.

I've stayed in some crew houses that were quite nice.

Made myself right at home.

I also don't wait for someone else to clean up after me. I keep my own environment clean.

To each their own.

there would be not problem if everyone cleaned up after them selves, but they don't. who cleans the washrooms after some of these slobd have been gthrough them. It would make they old engilsh clean up ladies on t.v cringe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BeeBee

A friend (really) just came off a job where the operator ( a well known operator out of Richmond) wanted a pilot who would promote the "brand" an do everything to make the customer ( a fishing lodge in the QCI) happy and impress their clients with a skilled, entertaining, professional helicopter tour of the region to make their stay at the lodge memorable. So every night after the guests dinned they expected him (the pilot) to rise from the bowls of the crew barge (an old lumber company reject fire trap and seperate, in every way, from the main guest lodging) neat and clean in a full uniform with epilettes and bars (yup, they provided all the jewelery and expected it to worn) and mingle with the paying customers to encourage them to spend even more money on a heli-tour. Then, after completing his mission, return to his filthy plywood 8x12 unlockable cell in the middle of party central ( apparently the staff are all kids in their late teens and early 20's)not to emerge again until beckoned. Said he felt like a trained moneky on a string just there for the entertainment of the guests. He felt humiliated and disrespected. When his concerns were voiced to his company and the lodge manager, guess what, they said the other pilot didn't complain (of course, you had to meet the other pilot) and nothing could be done "this year" and he was branded as a trouble maker. Needless to say he quit. Why are these situation allowed to develop? And why are we, as highly trained skilled professionals treated with such contempt? I just don't understand it. What am I missing here? How are we any different from an Air Canada pilot? Even by increasing your skills with an instrument rating and moving onto larger aircraft with more complicated systems you are still treated with very little respect as a professional. There is presently an ad running in this magazine for pilots to operate on an S76 and S61. Have a look at the minimum requirements to apply. And the pay, for an FO on the S76....$3000 per month!! Again. what am I missing here? Doesn't that seem wrong?? $36,000 per year, before tax. Wow. I just started in this industry and don't think I will be in it any longer than it takes to pay back the money I borrowed for my license, if I even last that long (it's a pretty big loan). And who looses? I think we all do.

Guest BeeBee

Oh, and in case you were wondering they ( the operator) totally misrepresented the living arrangements. They say in error. 'cause they didn't really know what the resort was offering since they hadn't actually see it. But the resort did say it was OK. (I read the emails and saw the pictures). He was offered accomodation similiar to the guest with the same food. No surprise, it turned out to be somewhat less than advertised.