Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Converting Fixed Wing To Fling Wing

Seiger

I'm an unemployed commercial fixed wing pilot who has done the road trip and did the instructing thing, but couldn't get anywhere. I was wondering if anyone thinks that spending another $25,000 to convert my license to a helicopter rating would amke any sense. How does the helicopter world look right now? or how does it look for the next couple years.

Thanks to any who reply

I just did what you are thinking. I've been at the fixed-wing thing for quite some time though, and have plenty of experience(bush and IFR) with which to market myself. So far, the response has been good, but the proof will come in the spring.

I feel that RW has far more potential than does FW at the moment and it's a million times easier to get people to talk with you as a low-timer. That said, I see the fresh RW grads having an extremely hard time trying to get work. I had much counsel before deciding to make the switch and given my FW time have found most of it to be accurate. I also feel that as a dyed in the wool bush pilot, RW is far more suited to my style and the smaller the town or villiage, the happier my wife and I will be. If you're looking for Van., Calgary or T.O., stick with FW as far as I can tell. I may be wrong, but it seems most of the good city RW jobs go to the guys with heaps of time.

I you want any specific questions answered I'd be happy to share my experiences so far if you want to PM me. As I said, spring-time will tell all! (It better, because UI's going to end...)

BB

I'm an unemployed commercial fixed wing pilot who has done the road trip and did the instructing thing, but couldn't get anywhere. I was wondering if anyone thinks that spending another $25,000 to convert my license to a helicopter rating would amke any sense. How does the helicopter world look right now? or how does it look for the next couple years.

Thanks to any who reply

hey seiger...........I'm a fixed wing guy who is currently making the switch. how long was your road trip and how long have you been trying. Sounds like you have a lot of time invested and money since you did your instructors. It's great that you are considering rotory wing.......it is "real flying!!" hahahaha....but don't just consider it the easy way out....lots of guys out there working the ramp of in the field support for 2+ years before setting foot in the cockpit. Do it if this type of flying is what you really really want.......you need a passion a drive to do it......just as fixed wing side.

Hmm.. we appear to be moving in order here.

I'm saving my pennies and plan on heading to Silverline next Sept. Already have a commercial with a Cat 1 on the FW side.

One of the best pieces of advice I've had so far I think (besides don't do it if you have a family to support) Is make sure your financing is locked up before you start, and by the time you factor in some 206 time, (most guys are getting it, so not having it probably hurts an applicant a lot more then it used to) your looking at closed to 35Gs then 25. But if you like sleeping in your car and eating cold cereal 3 times a day then why not?

...I wonder if I can find a nice refrigerator box to live in.

I've been flying since 97' i stopped at every operator from St. John's, NF to Dryden, ON. I have a few good connections in the helicopter business and I figure my chances are greater. Its not that I like helicopters more then airplanes or vice versa, I just want to fly! I'm sick of working in retail.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just my opinion, and its always open to debate. PICK YOUR SCHOOL WISELY! There seems to be a saturation of flight schools all turning out large numbers of students to fill a very small market. These schools will get you a licence and be more than happy to take your money, but not many provide the "operatioal edge" that will land you a job. Helicopters primarily work in the bush, go to a school that is close to a setting that you may expect to be working in someday. Some larger companies hire from thier own schools. Do your home work, make some phone calls before you hand over your cash. Try not to settle for close and convienient, it may not be best.

Just some food for thought, and like I said, its always open for debate.

I've only been flying RW for five years but often get asked about where to go for training. I also ask myself, If I had to do it all over again, what would I do.

Skidmark