Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tips For Winter Ops

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... But seriously, if the blades can support the weight of the heli plus g loading in a turn, how much would be a danger to the blades/machine?

Don't forget that in flight there's centrifugal force acting upon the blades so they're more resistant to 'folding up'.

At rest, well, you know, it's a little different.

Might it be a bad thing to completely clear one blade then the other? If it was me I'd clear them a little bit each at a time starting at the tips... maybe I'm just too careful. And I'm glad I've got hangars to use.

Murdoch reminded me of something else. Be careful when removing the blade covers then they have a fair bit of snow on them especially with a two bladed semi-ridged rotor system. As you pull the cover off one blade, pulling on the cover pulls that blade down. Once you get it partially off, the cover starts sliding off quite easily on its own, typically dumping all of its snow on your head. But that's not the bad part. Once the weight of that blade is reduced the system flaps due to the weight of the other blade and the droop stop ends up bouncing off of the mast. With a large snow load it can be a significant mast bump.

SO.....that being said, there are a couple of options. One, sweep off the blades before you take off the covers. The other, have someone hold the opposite blade down at the stop as you pull the opposite cover off so the blade has nowhere to go once the weight is released.

Internet has been off line for a few days, lots of good information for me to consider. Thanks to all who took the time to post. Looking at the pic of the medium got me thinking. Just a quick question about snow on the blades. How much is too much? Wet, dry? "Some guys" have us out there brushing off 2 inches of powder, oh well it's their machine..... But seriously, if the blades can support the weight of the heli plus g loading in a turn, how much would be a danger to the blades/machine?

From Bell flight manual

BHT-206B-FM-1: Max tiedown tention 100Lbs and 24" of down deflextion

BHT-206L-FM-1: Max tiedown tention 90Lbs and 34" of down deflextion

So you can extrapolate for snow

Hope it's help!

Guy