Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hey Twinstar

Wow, I've been a member here for some time, I've made an entry or two. Some comments at that time were certainly on the ignorant side of things. Just goes to show that not all humans are created equally. RR, I thank you for what you had to do up there, it is never easy. Also thanks to the rescuers on the ground, they risk their lives, and take an emotional toll. I have been in those boots on top many times and it never gets easy. I also remember my terror caught in a class 3 slide.

Stupid comments from the likes of "OD" are not uncommon on scenes while you are cleaning it up. Stupid comes in all shapes and sizes that is for certain. Fly safe and remember that CISD (Critical Incident Stress Debriefing) is available to all those involved in incidences such as these. Speak with EMS or RCMP if you need to download your mind.

My heart goes out to those involved. God Bless

it wasn't your comments, RR... as most who know me here know, i was a paramedic for 17yrs and i have the deepest respect for those who rescued the survivors and those who recovered those who weren't so fortunate...

some of the comments, however, from others required that the thread be ended.. human decency and the such... if those higher on the chain than me disagree, they can reopen it...

it wasn't your comments, RR... as most who know me here know, i was a paramedic for 17yrs and i have the deepest respect for those who rescued the survivors and those who recovered those who weren't so fortunate...

some of the comments, however, from others required that the thread be ended.. human decency and the such... if those higher on the chain than me disagree, they can reopen it...

I hope the human decency you refer to is not comments towards old dog. If you feel that thread was so off topic i suggest you delete it as OLD DOGs comments are out of line . It sure looks to me like you are protecting old dog not the surviving relatives.

I stand by what i said OLD DOG you are an a$$. How low can you go ??????

I was born in that area, and when you grow up in the mountains you take risks most tourists and sideliners wouldn't take. This is true for any culture that exists in a harsh climate. Are you going to call everyone that does anything dangerous in the wilderness a mistake of the gene pool? Seems that's how we got to Canada in the first place. People like old dog waltz into every obvious situation, state their ignorance, and expect to look like a genius. Does getting into a helicopter with a crap load of moving parts and flying around all day sound particularly safe to you? You put your life on the line every time you get in that thing and you are not a mistake because you do it. The hypocrisy is so ironic, and the fact that old dog doesn't get it speaks volumes about his own comprehension of the human spirit.

Oh, hey...don't beat on Twinnie too much, please. You all know how fast the fists fly around here and from there, things spiral downhill fast. I have no doubt he was trying to preserve the integrity of the thread so it wouldn't be bombarded any further with nastiness. Just my 2¢.

Here's the news story that Rumrunner was talking about. So very tragic and gutwrenching.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/01...900081-sun.html

I can't imagine how crews can stay focused on flying well and safe when time is of the essence and hearts are heavy. We've had many avalanches, rescues and sad news here recently, too...all a sad and unfortunate part of living, working and playing in the high country in winter.

Hugs for all the SAR workers, flight crews and families who've lost loved ones...both north and south of the border. Please be supportive and caring. If you have nothing kind to say, take the high road and don't say anything at all.

How often do we help people who "shouldn't have been there - shouldn't have done that!"

Oftentimes they are good folks who just exceeded their limits without even being aware.

Sometimes they are folks who "should have known better - did it anyways."

Then there are the dreaded "HBD's"

We, in this industry, in Canada, usualy have a respect and knowledge of the area in which we operate that the recreational user does not have.

My respect for the rescue crews knows no bounds - my condolences to the families of the deceased is heartfelt. My wish that the deceased were better informed, more aware, better equiped, more knowledgeable or, sometimes, just luckier is true.

That the event had never had happened is a wish not granted. Anyone who has worked EMS or a remote base always hates those calls to an event at a cottage or scene in the bush. Because of communications difficulties ect. we often arrive too late.

I know of no sadder time than that flight where we have to carry a body bag. Sometimes, thankfully not often, one of our own, perhaps a friend.

Let's all have a safe 2009.