Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot/ame

heli_b

I had one high time fixed wing pilot as a student a couple years ago, 5,000 hrs on beavers etc. He dsid the AME M course at BCIT then came to SAIT and did the 2 year avionics course. Flew in the summer in the Yukon. After he graduated he went back flying on Caravans for $7K per month vs $3K as a fixer.

Just wanted the extra knowledge.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well as entertaining as those motivational posters might be I realize that it would be difficult forusure, but definitly rewarding, the reason I want my ame as well is not to make myself more employable but to have a better understanding of exactly how things work, I also love working on things (but not as much as flying) and coming from a background where I had to fix things when the broke it is driving me crazy not being able to work on things. If you cant fix it with a leatherman or duct tape dont touch it, and even then most the time you shouldnt touch it. So just would like to hear from somone that went the route I would like to and hear how it went for them.

Thanks very much.

Being both has it's benefits, but though you will probably be employed when others aren't, you may end up not doing what you want. One fellow I know wants to fly and use engineering as a secondary safety net, but it doesn't always work that way. Fly or fix, but he can;t do both equally well. Some do. I met an engineer this summer who flew for a few months in the summer, then went back to maint for the rest of the time. I'm sure the flying skills are slower to keep up to speed with. Long before the days of limited duty days etc were in place, I knew a guy who flew all day and then was responsible for his maint at night, in the bush. You just have to think about how the maint was, regardless of genuine intent, after a long day flying. Initially, I believe you would have a much better chance of employment with both, but then where do you draw the line?