Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tsb Report: Aug 2008 B206l Crash Near Terrace

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This report was released in April 2009 and has some interesting findings regarding overloads, longline stretch and collective bounce.

We can all learn from this one . . . . .

This was one of the incidences I was able to view in mid investigative process & one of the helicopters I saw in the TSB hangar. Thank you (much) for posting the final report.

I ought to add that I am uncertain at this time if TSB tours are common practice for the public, or if I was just in the right place at the right time. However, This is something I would like to see available in the industry as a sort of field trip for additional education for anyone who wishes to do so. I am currently working on encouraging this possibility on both ends. Should know more this week and will repost any information received.

My condolences also to family, friends and colleagues of the deceased. A very unfortunate event involving an experienced pilot with a great many hours.

I ought to add that I am uncertain at this time if TSB tours are common practice for the public, or if I was just in the right place at the right time. However, This is something I would like to see available in the industry as a sort of field trip for additional education for anyone who wishes to do so. I am currently working on encouraging this possibility on both ends. Should know more this week and will repost any information received.

My condolences also to family, friends and colleagues of the deceased. A very unfortunate event involving an experienced pilot with a great many hours.

The deceased was a **** of a good man. he will be remembered with fondest of thoughts. RIP

The deceased was a **** of a good man. he will be remembered with fondest of thoughts. RIP

Best efforts were attempted to save him. A man from the camp ran down that the side of cliff (photo enclosed in report) to help him after the incident. A feat the investigators were taken aback by, given the steep face and difficult terrain. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Confirmation:

TSB is willing to give tours any time

(obviously during working hours). Just call.

The office & hangar (in BC) is in Richmond.

Switchboard: 604-666-5826

Ask for one of the Senior Crash Investigators.

I'll warn all newbies now as I once did to the newbies om my base. You will encounter stretching with short lines also. As a result you will use ONLY web-constructed sling lines because they don't stretch. If you encounter any other company sling lines, you SHALL cut off the pear ring and the hook at the other end......and throw what's remaining as far into the bush as you can possibly do so and you probably saved somebody's life some day by doing so. I would then, at the very earliest opportunity, arrange to take them aloft at some high altitde with a sling load on a Medium. I'd introduce 'collective bounch' and talk them through it. Once on terra firma again they now knew the meaning of the term 'McPherson Seatbelt' that I often mentioned in regards to other 'flight envelopes' and also not to complain about built-in collective-friction amounts on that Medium when their time arrived for a check-out on that type...........those frictions were there for a certain reason and that reason had now just been demonstrated to them. Better they learned that way, than the way I did. Years later, when they had that check-out on some Medium and we met somewhere, they'd often thank me because the odd one of them had already had that 'encounter', knew instantaneously what was taking place and knew how to get out of it. It usually followed that somebody, somewhere got 'a feem job' for attaching them to 'stretchy' sling gear.

It's long, long overdue that this extremely dangerous, 'a-hole tightener' has been allowed to be something that maybe gets desrcribed in some written fashion and is otherwise considered the sole property of the very experienced who have learned it the hard way. It's B.S. and has taken too many lives and damaged too many a/c for my personal liking. I'm also very sure that I know the lead investigator on the accident for TSB and if so, then once upon a time, many 'moons ago' when he was junior he also had an expericence........but survived. If such is the case, then he can 'smell' collective-bouch before he investigates to see if that was involved. It is something that you NEVER forget the experience of having had happen to you.