Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Canadian Helo License

FYI- Very hard top land a spot in Oz or Kiwi land these days even with 5000hrs and a ATPL! They protect thier workers far more agressively through policy than the Canadian government does.

P5

I do not beleive this is correct, I am a kiwi in Aussi and flat out. If you have your aussi licence and A350 or B204/205 endoresment and 100 hrs on type you will have no trouble getting a job. They only protect there boarders not there jobs so if you can get in you will get a job.

Canadians could keep busy down here in the summer on fires and work in Canada in your summer.

You have to go look as they as they will not come looking for you(like in every country) so if you not bothered going looking for work do not complain.

As for NZ there is just not enough flying there fullstop at the moment and the pay is no good anyway

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Hard to think that with this mentality you would get support from any Canadian in this industry.

Shoe on the other foot might stop moronic comments like this, OLD and Old Bulls.

The "mentality" of which you mention, is a "point", you do not grasp.....or a better description would be, "you do not get it" !!??? <_<

Critisize away.....because the "shoe is not on any foot" !

And "NO" Freddie....HEPAC was not going(or supposed), to be the answer for all.....but was meant to be an "assist", to those that "may" require it.

So how about it? Any Oz or Kiwi pilots in Canada on a work permit want to shed any light on why they have their position and a Canadian does not? What is it that you bring to the table that can't be found locally? With all sincerity i would really like to hear how this process works, get the inside scoop so to speak.

L3

I think one of the reasons that some foriegn guys still hold positions is because they have been long time employees of the companies.

If a foreigner still holds a current visa then why would a company let them go in favour of a canadian pilot.

Remember they have probably invested a fair amount of time and money into them. Hiring someone new to the company would probably cost more time and money which unfortunately some companies dont really have.

And of course theres the old saying better the devil you know than the one you dont.

Another thing to add is that it wasnt all that long ago that it was a pilots market out there and there was a few guys that were changing jobs like they were changing underpants.

Sometimes a little loyalty can pay off in the end especially when the grass looks a little greener.

I know this isnt always the case but may be some part of it.

I have heard that sponsered visas are harder to get ( dont know if there is any truth to it) but if it is the case and the industry stays the same for a few years then you might see less and less foreign guys coming over.

L3, the visas that you get when you are under 31 only last for 1 year but there is some type of extension you can apply for another year. Through other processes I think you can get additional visas also ( as long as you are still under 31).

The sponsered visa system through a company can last up to 3 years (at least thats the most ive heard of so there could be longer ones)

Im not sure how the Immigration people work out weather a person gets 1,2 or 3 years,maybe it depends on what the company says in the application forms, Ive never seen one.

The visa states that you cannot work for anybody other than the one sponsering the applicant.

L3 said "People are people and i don't think you can say that a foreign pilot is going to be more loyal than a Canadian one."

Also to clarify I dont think that Foreigners are more loyal than Canadians, infact alot of the guys I know that were changing jobs in the boomtime were foriegners. Just wanted to point out that they were probably holding those jobs because of some form of loyalty.

I have heard of some companies asking for 3 or more years contract/commitment from pilots (be they foreign or otherwise) because they were sick of putting money and time into pilots who job-hopped in earlier, better times, when jobs were easier to come by. So if a "foreign" pilot was willing to do this several years ago, and has proved himself to be a reliable, competent pilot - why would the company ditch him just because jobs are hard to come by - to me it sounds like they are rewarding the loyalty - not just ditching him because a Canadian pilot is out of work. "The rain falls on the just and the unjust", and I am sorry for anyone who is out of work in these difficult times -not just pilots and their families have to suffer, times are hard for millions of people. Do we have to roll out this tired old thread of foreign pilot bashing once again? The person who started this thread was not setting out to "bash' anyone -but there's always someone ready to jump in with the same old rant that never gets us anywhere.

I have heard of some companies asking for 3 or more years contract/commitment from pilots (be they foreign or otherwise) because they were sick of putting money and time into pilots who job-hopped in earlier, better times, when jobs were easier to come by. So if a "foreign" pilot was willing to do this several years ago, and has proved himself to be a reliable, competent pilot - why would the company ditch him just because jobs are hard to come by - to me it sounds like they are rewarding the loyalty - not just ditching him because a Canadian pilot is out of work. "The rain falls on the just and the unjust", and I am sorry for anyone who is out of work in these difficult times -not just pilots and their families have to suffer, times are hard for millions of people. Do we have to roll out this tired old thread of foreign pilot bashing once again? The person who started this thread was not setting out to "bash' anyone -but there's always someone ready to jump in with the same old rant that never gets us anywhere.

this thread's getting f@king boring.

L3 You should start written a book....Title?.....I'm a foreigner pilot working(or not) in canadaé.

I do not beleive this is correct, I am a kiwi in Aussi and flat out. If you have your aussi licence and A350 or B204/205 endoresment and 100 hrs on type you will have no trouble getting a job. They only protect there boarders not there jobs so if you can get in you will get a job.

Canadians could keep busy down here in the summer on fires and work in Canada in your summer.

You have to go look as they as they will not come looking for you(like in every country) so if you not bothered going looking for work do not complain.

As for NZ there is just not enough flying there fullstop at the moment and the pay is no good anyway

Unfortunately not! was recently looking for work in OZ and Kiwii land and was told flat out by more than 1 chief pilot at Jayrow and Bristow and others that due to `redundancies`they are not sponsoring any Canadians.What jobs there are are being dolled out to the locals! Issues with getting work permits too. You cannot go the other route and imigrate based on a pilots license becuse its not on the skilled trades list!

Although it would be nice if it where a true global market and mobility was easy its not the case if you areover 31. The USA, well just forget that one without sponsorship either!

The route is throughTasman or another Canadian operator working down under! Good luck on that one! The deal there for a hight time pilot and no guarantee that you will make a base salary, so its unsellable to a fiscally responsible person

People need to get informed before commenting on this sometimes sensitive subject. Go to Bladeslapper and start applying and see what happens.. maybe the market has changed from a few months ago!

Good luck!

P5

The "mentality" of which you mention, is a "point", you do not grasp.....or a better description would be, "you do not get it" !!??? <_<

Critisize away.....because the "shoe is not on any foot" !

And "NO" Freddie....HEPAC was not going(or supposed), to be the answer for all.....but was meant to be an "assist", to those that "may" require it.

I guess you must be seeing things through different coloured glasses than me.

Then again I never have bragged about maybe only getting 800 hrs this year :rolleyes: