Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Off Airport Landings

wheeler295

I was wondering how often you guys do off airport landings at your school? I only ask because I was reading in vertical magazine a few years ago that a lot of schools aren't doing very many off airport landings. I'm only on my third hour and the only time we land on concrete or asphalt is when we are going back to the hanger. The rest of the time we're out if in the fields or up in the mountains here in Northern California. Any ways, my next flight my instructor wants me to start autos....I'm very nervous, wish me luck!

Wheeler

• 1 month later...

crap, i'm being taught at a metro atlanta location and i don't thing that we're even allowed to practice off airport landings here...i'm on my 7th hr and the only thing we've done is go to a more rural airport...still in a very busy county/airport

• 3 weeks later...

I don't care where you train, what country, what part of said country or how much you pay....you fly a helicopter. PERIOD. The machine was meant to go UP and DOWN vertically. You better learn those off airport landing skills down pat. Especially in the US what with the dramatic increase in EMS flights and the (unfortunately) coinciding increase in accidents. Just because there is alot of pavement out there doesn't mean there isn't a wire.

Know your 6 S's down pat and Dead Man's Curve be Damned...when in doubt STOP....like I said it's a helicopter!

Fly Safe and good luck!

D

• 3 weeks later...
crap, i'm being taught at a metro atlanta location and i don't thing that we're even allowed to practice off airport landings here...i'm on my 7th hr and the only thing we've done is go to a more rural airport...still in a very busy county/airport

You should have done your training in canada! B)

rob

• 7 months later...

>QUOTE (finallyflyin @ Mar 4 2010, 08:31 PM) crap, i'm being taught at a metro atlanta location and i don't thing that we're even allowed to practice off airport landings here...i'm on my 7th hr and the only thing we've done is go to a more rural airport...still in a very busy county/airport<!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should have done your training in canada! cool.gif" />

rob

I'd bet 100 bucks your instructor (in Atlanta) has done ONE full on auto in his flying career....