Aviation Professionalism

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a great chat with Tony Kern, the CEO of Convergent Performance, who was one of the speakers at the CHC Safety and Quality Summit. I wanted to share this blog from Tony on the topics of aviation professionalism and compliance:

http://www.convergentperformance.com/gwoe/...we-cant-go.html

I think he raises some great points!

Elan

• 2 months later...

Absolutly bloody amazing!!! Only 253 views and 1 smart-arse comment since April 22nd.!! So much for all the banter about "Aviation Professionalism" on this site. I strongly suggest that all you self-professed "Professionals" follow Elans link and read it completly. I did, and it sure opened my eyes.

I will be following what Tony Kern has to say in the future.

John Nixon

The Erickson Group has adopted the philosophy and teachings of Tony Kern (Convergent) for several years now.

When Convergent speaks we truly listen.

I feel every helicopter operator, pilot, engineer, and ground support personel should be part of what they bring to the table.

• 3 weeks later...
So much for all the banter about "Aviation Professionalism" on this site.

Sadly enough, although most might see the helicopter or fixed wing world as a Professional occupation, I don't see it. In 14 years of flying helicopters, a Dad with 30K+ hours with the airforce and commercial airliners and a brother now working through the ranks of the Canadian commercial world, it isn't as common as one might expect. We train pilots, then when they get hired, the status quo starts. We sell a/c for jobs they shouldn't do. We tell pilots they need to go. We watch year after year as people die as we cut corners to increase profit. It doesn't matter if it is a one helicopter company or Air Canada with thousands of employees operating world wide. My dad and brother can tell you horror stories in the fixed wing world and I have only met a handful of helicopter pilots that I would call professionals.

I have struggled with this so much. I have strived to be professional, but company after company they drive it out of me or don't want or require it. Oh don't get me wrong, on paper they all look great, but after you leave the desk it is a different place. "You just need to be more accommendating!"; "Is the weather that bad?"; "Do you need that guage?"; "Is the Tq in the green? Then it is good to go?" "75lbs of fuel is enough!". "I can see the ground, barely, but it is good to go, I'll take that load on the line!". I could go on and on with just the things I have been told and seen. When I have stood up against these things I have been mocked, laughed at then the kicker, put on the B list and taken off jobs because I am not "interested in customer service or a company man"!

I like the fact that the article mentioned that ethics aren't intrinsic like most people think. It is taught. Our company saftey cultures and personal standards are lacking. I have strived to fight the slow decade in my own professionalism, but it is hard when no one around cares or they even laugh at you for it. There have been a few that have encouraged me to foster professionlism and I thank them.

Well, Koalaa119, you certainly nailed it right. You said it in a way I could only dream of. Very well written and every word true. It's very hard to find a true "Professional" in the industry these days. "Most" Pilots and Engineers I have seen over the years have abaolutly no concept of professionalism. They are around but you have to dig real deep!! Having said that, I have been in the industry for 51 years (not a typo) and nothing has really changed for the better. Lots of lip service, lots of studies, lots of promises, minimal training, but when push comes to shove, the dollar always wins!! And that applies to every Helicopter and Fixed-wing company in Canada. NO EXCEPTIONS!!

Interesting snippet on another thread regarding possible double crewing on the mediums in B.C. I've been involved in double crewing in the past and it's not fun for the Engineer. They always double up on the Pilots, never the Engineers. Talk about a case for duty days for Engineers, huh?? Money first, lives second. :down: :down:

John Nixon

Imho professionalism in aviation has been reduced to an oxymoron.

With a few notable exceptions, owners/operators are a new breed these days, cutthroat to the core, almost exclusively money driven (for good reason, as there is no money to be made anymore, customers write the rules, dictate terms/rates), and unfortunately a good many OC's given out since de-regulation have landed in the laps of scoundrels, liars, and thieves. We see it played out time and again. Harsh? Not a bit.

The other issue is we're now a good 20yrs into this phase of life in aviation, and most of the younger generation of pilots never knew what existed before, they are sold pipe dreams by money hungry schools, and turned loosed to fight, scratch, and claw their way into $12/hr jobs - what do we except these people to behave like when they finally do become chief pilots, operations managers, and owners? Little else I'm afraid.

This industry is a shadow of its former self, and while we put window dressing on the issue of safety, we still can't move away from some of the most basic tenants of it. As SP mentioned, AME's are still without duty times, pilots are still paid by the hour (myself included btw), Transport Canada has abdicated its responsibility for oversight and sold everyone on the bill of goods that is SMS. The old hands are retiring, and with them goes immeasurable experience that so desperately needs to be passed on. I had to laugh on another thread where somebody mentioned 'all the training' they received at a particular company - it's not how much you get, it's who's doing it and the content that counts. We never seem to learn.

Fly safe out there everyone, only a couple months to go.

AR

Imho professionalism in aviation has been reduced to an oxymoron.

With a few notable exceptions, owners/operators are a new breed these days, cutthroat to the core, almost exclusively money driven (for good reason, as there is no money to be made anymore, customers write the rules, dictate terms/rates), and unfortunately a good many OC's given out since de-regulation have landed in the laps of scoundrels, liars, and thieves. We see it played out time and again. Harsh? Not a bit.

The other issue is we're now a good 20yrs into this phase of life in aviation, and most of the younger generation of pilots never knew what existed before, they are sold pipe dreams by money hungry schools, and turned loosed to fight, scratch, and claw their way into $12/hr jobs - what do we except these people to behave like when they finally do become chief pilots, operations managers, and owners? Little else I'm afraid.

This industry is a shadow of its former self, and while we put window dressing on the issue of safety, we still can't move away from some of the most basic tenants of it. As SP mentioned, AME's are still without duty times, pilots are still paid by the hour (myself included btw), Transport Canada has abdicated its responsibility for oversight and sold everyone on the bill of goods that is SMS. The old hands are retiring, and with them goes immeasurable experience that so desperately needs to be passed on. I had to laugh on another thread where somebody mentioned 'all the training' they received at a particular company - it's not how much you get, it's who's doing it and the content that counts. We never seem to learn.

Fly safe out there everyone, only a couple months to go.

AR

Auto-Relight (the magic of the H500)

Excellent POST and you are wondering why HEPAC was founded. Everything you stated was covered at one time or another in HEPAC dialog.

It is actually sad to see an industry run by the customers and the FOX still trying to get control from TCCA. From the day I joined the industry (1952) to this day I cannot think of anything TCCA or the government has done for the helicopter industry other than screw it up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with SMS as there was nothing wrong with the previous Audit system. The problem with TCCA is you have to many empire builders that have no concept of civil aviation and that goes back to day one of the invention of the organization.

MOST government employees have the attitude of why "rock the boat" , I have only X number of years to retire and then it's somebody else's problem.

The big problem with any "AUDIT" system is enforcement and not doing proactive inspections without prior notice. Cut the bullshit of having to find minor infractions and concentrate on airworthiness/safety and training.

I originally gave TCCA a system in the nineties that was converted for the CBAA. What was the problem with CBAA losing the authority, POLITICS AND LACK OF ENFORCEMENT.

SOUND FAMILIAR???????

Good Luck.

Cheers, Don

P.S. If you want to get somewhere, put the "HAMMER DOWN".

Auto-Relight (the magic of the H500)

Excellent POST and you are wondering why HEPAC was founded. Everything you stated was covered at one time or another in HEPAC dialog.

It is actually sad to see an industry run by the customers and the FOX still trying to get control from TCCA. From the day I joined the industry (1952) to this day I cannot think of anything TCCA or the government has done for the helicopter industry other than screw it up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with SMS as there was nothing wrong with the previous Audit system. The problem with TCCA is you have to many empire builders that have no concept of civil aviation and that goes back to day one of the invention of the organization.

MOST government employees have the attitude of why "rock the boat" , I have only X number of years to retire and then it's somebody else's problem.

The big problem with any "AUDIT" system is enforcement and not doing proactive inspections without prior notice. Cut the bullshit of having to find minor infractions and concentrate on airworthiness/safety and training.

I originally gave TCCA a system in the nineties that was converted for the CBAA. What was the problem with CBAA losing the authority, POLITICS AND LACK OF ENFORCEMENT.

SOUND FAMILIAR???????

Good Luck.

Cheers, Don

P.S. If you want to get somewhere, put the "HAMMER DOWN".

We could have used your valuable input on this thread Don.

http://www.verticalmag.com/forums/index.ph...=16838&st=0

1952?? Holy Shyte, and I thought I had been around a long time since 1959. My hat is off to you Sir, for putting up with young punks like me all these years. :up: :up: