Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gulf Helicopters

I worked there for 6 years, about 7 years ago, and at that time it was a mess that got even messier. 5 Chief pilots in 4 years, same for Chief engineer and crew turnover was faster than a hooker,s underwear.

It has since improved, but you will still always be treated as a second class person, with the locals getting the best flights, most time off, most pay and so on. I understand that as a new hire you would not work on Doha, most likely in Iran, Lybia, or the Sudan, and now I hear rumors of them going into Nigeria. You have to post a bond to get the AW139 endorsement and sign on for I beleive 3 years before your bond is worked off. I know bonds are illegal, but not in Doha, believe me.

Doha has the largest natural gas deposit in the world, and is the largest exporter of LNG, mostly to Japan, and now China, so the work is there forever, virtually, but whether you can last long enough to actually work in Doha is another matter.

Royal Dutch Shell and a Chinese company just signed a 30 year contract for exploration and production with Qatar, kind of gives you an idea of the longevity of their gas field.

It,s HOT, average temp is 45 from mid May until Nov. Ramadan is in the summer this year and it is chaos, none of the locals show up for work, and if they do they only last for 1 flight and they leave, and it is within their right, but should you try that, good luck!

It,s a modern city with all the modern distractions from Starbucks to Dairy Queen, booze in the restraunts and hookers galore, provided you like Russian.

John Toon is the Chief Pilot, a Brit from the Brit Navy, and abit of a hard nut, but he has been getting the job done for about 10 years now, and should be pretty competent.

You will need an ATPL with a current IFR and 200 hours of offshore, with ideally 412 time, but 212 time will do. They like canadians, as we tend not to complain and get the job done, and when outside jobs come up, we tend to manage effectually on our own.

I enjoyed my time there for the most part, but remember you will aways be second in line for everything, and if you complain too much, you,ll be shown the door.

Remember this, or at least think about it. Why is it, when nobody else is hiring because of the slow down, Gulf Helicopters continues to need crew, could it be because there is a problem there?

Lastly, try Googling Qatar Sucks, something along those lines and you should come up with a web site about all the human rights abuses that continue to go on there.

Best of luck, pm me if you want more info

Guest plumber
Should have added that if you qualify, I would recommend Falcon Aviation Services. They have most of Abu Dhabi,s contracts and Cal Fryer is one great guy to work for, and a Canadian to boot!

You had me at booze and hookers :lol:

some of the folks I worked with in Saudi Arabia (Aramco) went over to Gulf. they like it. there is a fairly high turnover, but we saw that every where in the middle east in the last few years. the new crop of western workers, i'm sorry to say, are weak ;)

the Middle East is not Canada. It is Not the US. it is their country, their rules. keep your mouth SHUT, take the paycheck, and smile. spent 18yrs "over there" and would go back again if I had any interest in IFR flying. the beaches are gorgeous, lots of good freediving & spearfishing, it's HOT (50C summer highs + 90% Humidity).

there isn't many places to spend your money there. if you're smart you stay just long enough to fatten the bank account, move home, and pay for half your new house in Cash ;)

You and Duece Bigalo dipped your toes in the water just after I left, and from what I heard things had gotten even worse. :o

My most " memorable " day was when I ended up with 5 different 412,s for 4 flights, things kept breaking and nobody left with any experience to fix them.

I guess that,s what happens when you promote people because of where they were born, and not because of their experience and knowlegde. :stupid:

As confuscus said, may you live in interesting times, and they certainly were!

You and Duece Bigalo dipped your toes in the water just after I left, and from what I heard things had gotten even worse. :o

My most " memorable " day was when I ended up with 5 different 412,s for 4 flights, things kept breaking and nobody left with any experience to fix them.

I guess that,s what happens when you promote people because of where they were born, and not because of their experience and knowlegde. :stupid:

As confuscus said, may you live in interesting times, and they certainly were!