Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jet A Vs Jet B

Jet A is alot safer to be around compared to Jet B which has around 40% Naptha. This is why Jet B is nicer is cold temps for lighting off some machines, flash point is lower. Cannot get Jet b in most countries other than Canada. Jet A1 is great for Astars, but when is very cold still like Jet B.

Had an interesting issue with Jet A in east due to fuel cloudiness in temps below -20 C. Was told by supplier was ok even though filters were clogging,,,oddly they would not supply anything in writing saying was ok,,,,got Jet B. Think it was parrafin. The Jet A after looking into was "traded/sold" by three companies after leaving refinery,,,,hmmm. Reputable fuel suppliers are very important!

Skully,

Experienced the same thing with Jet A1 from ESSO. Some drums were worst than others and we returned the really cloudy ones. Entrained water what freezing to crystals.

Ronny,

Jet B burns cleaner, but has less energy pound per pound than Jet A/A1. Jet A/A1 unfortunately limits some helicopters to -32/-18, which is fine by me. :lol:

Jet A/A1 can cause birth defects in the long run.

Jet B can cause cancer in the long run.

I wonder what the Jet B supply is like these days? ie refineries producing it...

• Like 1

BTU wise, I think its a couple hundred btu difference. so bit of power difference.And remember the winter fuel will have prist in it also. As for the cloudiness, I was part of an inquiry at the refinery where water and alcohol got into a tanker, Turns out a weld was done, tank was pressure washed and alcohol flushed, but some was left in the lines. I got to the job which was -30 and opened the lid. saw what looked like cold apple juice colored fuel, and the line was frozen solid. so we chipped the line out and opened the valve a bit and this slug of what looked like frog eggs filled the tupperware spares box,no response with the tan colornut, so the guys from the refinery came out and had a look. The result was, we found out we needed the brown colornut.There was a US airforce occurrence at about the same time with incorrect paste used..