Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Changes

FF

I have nothing against any one particular pilot who is foriegn or chooses to work in Canada in so far as there are no Canadians that are avialable for the post. Fortunately there are many experienced Canadaian Pilots who are competant and willing to work here. Companies hire foriengers for a variety of reasons both fiscal and other. There will always be a requirement for outside help, but unfortunately there are just "to many" at this point and it reduces opportunities for Canadians that choose as it is there right to do so, to work at home.

I understand that you may find it easy to point a finger at me and state or imply that I have some form of deficiency that may inhibit me from working, I can assure you that my only deficiency is that I refuse to turn a a blind eye to the obvious infractions that companies undertake speak up. Sorry I am not a "yes man", but I was never told that this was a pre requisite top being eligible to work in my own country.

Sorry try agian, do not pass go do not collect 200$.

PS

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Canadian I am experienced and there is no reason that I am not employable.

Its a complete Crock and absolute rubish that there are no experience Canadian drivers avialable.

You are entitled to you opinion, but as long as I have been Canadian it's Canadians first.

and you can bet your bacon to eggs that I will continue to lobby the government to make the nessesary changes so that employers stick to the rules and hire Canadians first.

Cheers

PS

Didn't I hear this ramble on a Molson Canadian tv commercial? :down:

In addition FF,

I am not opposed at all that any foreigner who chooses Canada to come and work find a wife get married have children and join the big Canadian Family. No problem, but coming here under the pretense of a working vacation, take sparse seasonal jobs go home spend the winter come back and do it all over again is just unacceptable.

Come for visits find a girl friend or boy friend as we must not be intolerant to this and I apologize to duf for a post I and I may have offended his rights. It was wrong.

The policy on the issuance of work permits is quite clear and states that if a Canadian is available or can reasonably be retrained, then its out.

The Australian law and other similar national immigration policy are clear and bilateral in most cases. These countries clearly protect the working and labor rights of the individual.

A registry of Canadian pilots is required. and must be provided to HRDC and other agencies so that a proper consideration of the application of work permit acceptance can be provided.

This is the new reality that is at hand. And that is my opinion!

Also FF my attitude has nothing to do with my opinions or beliefs. And thank you very much I have a perfect safety record. Nothing bent.

Cheers.

Peeshooter,

No one out there is looking for a yes man. Thats how things get bent. I just cant believe that you place your inabilities on the sholders of all foriegn pilots who according to you get payed less and put up with more crap than Canadians. What planet are you on. If your only deficiency is your attitude than you still have a pretty big hurdle to overcome. I certainly hope that your sentiment is not shared by many of my colleauges. I Love Canada. I love the peolpe, the scenery and most of all the workplace. You never did respond to the Canadians currently overseas. What are your thaughts on that one?

Peeshooter,

If you were an operator and needed to hire a pilot to fly your helicopter wouldn't you hire the best possible pilot to fill the position? I would hire someone not just by hours but also professionalism, personality, work ethic, ability to work within a team, etc.

If someone from another country is more "qualified" in the above areas and they get hired over a canadian then all the power to them and they are just raising the bar a little higher. Operators want the best people (no matter where their from) to fly and maintain their helicopters! Wouldn't you?

There are currently plenty of available positions for experienced pilots in Canada and there is only going to be more in the future. If you have the previously mentioned qualities and most of all a good attitude there is no reason why you shouldn't be working. Just because your Canadian you shouldn't expect to be handed a job over someone from another country.

This can go either way as well, an Aussie pilot may not get the job over a Canadian. In the end usually the best people are working and the bad atttitudes are sitting on the sidelines making up excuses on why they should be flying and not some other guy from outside of the country.

Gambler

Listen Gambler,

There are some very good pilots that are available for work that are Canadian, I don't know where you get your preoccupation or association that a certain personality makes a better or safer or more customer orientated pilot. This make no sense to me at all.

I will say it again for the comprehension impaired, The Country is called Canada, its comprized of Canadian Nationals that make up a labour force. When there are skilled Canadians avialable for jobs and they may posses a greater or equal ammount of Job Skills . The Canadian should have preference over the job .

OKay lets just scrap the whole idea of countries , what the ****. Everybody can do what ever they want and the is no protection for the Canadian labour market.

I don't think this is going to happen.

PS

Peeshooter,

I think one can be a reasonable individual, be pragmatic at times and live with the realities of bush flying without being a yes-man or ***-licker.

There are many factors that influence how a work relationship functions between an employer and employee. I've had employees in the past (in my past work life, not helicopter related) that I've had to let go because it was simply impossible to get along with them. Some of them were both canadian and very competent, but couldn't or wouldn't work in the manner that I required, sometimes simply because our personalities just didn't match.

I recall you saying you've had some 15 employers in the past 15 years. With that number of people who've known you, perhaps your reputation as a "difficult " person to get along with has gotten around. I don't think you've necessarily been black-balled per se.

I've often been sitting around the hangar and overheard the ops manager ask one of the pilots or AMEs " you worked at such and such a place in 19xx. Do you remember a guy by the name of xxx ?".

I remember hearing the name of one pilot that kept being brought up who had a couple thousand hours but that no one would touch 'cause he didn't get along with anybody. Not management, not maintenance, not other pilots.

I don't want to judge you, but I suspect that while your crusade against foreign pilots may get you some revenge on some employers, it will do nothing to make you more employable...

Skidz

I'm sorry but you got the wrong guy. I am exteremely easy to get along with, the dialog that is hear should suggest that I have a willingness to communicate so I can't really see any substance to the argumant or stated words.

When I work I do the following things Skidz.

I smile

I fly the helicopter safely

I smile at the customers

I say please and thank you and am extremely polite.

I may even crack the occaisional joke.

I get all my paper work in early.

I fill in the log book correctly

When I am not on the job I do what ever I like , but mostly stand on my head and read.

No you got the wrong guy.