Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Changes

Peeshooter,

Once again your logic has baffled me. To think for a second that personality has nothing to do with your job is just being foolish. I will always recommend a guy who I can work all day with and then sit down and tip a few with afterwards. I think there is alot of experience on this forum and I am sure most of them would back me up on this. You mentioned before that there is currently 35 or 40 work permits for Western Canada. How many licenced commercial helicopter pilots are there? I think its in the thousands last time I checked. Not bad odds to have 2 or 3 percent of YOUR countries workforce outsourced to foreigners. Once again my friend think before you speak.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My appologies once again to the Moderators from now on I will count to 100 before responding to the induvidual in question, as for the topic I have many, many friends in this industry some of them are Canadian some are not, I have never once looked at someone from another country as a threat to my job, or standard of living and yes as the saying goes I am Canadian ( I was only playing up the visa thing to get you know who going) The Helicopter Industry in Canada is doing just fine sure there are things that need work but what Industry, Profession or Trade does not have it's problems, all I know is that 99% of the Guys and Gals in this Industry get along 99% of the time be the Canadian,American, Australian, ETC, ETC, ETC ......

DTII B)

Just my 2c - within reason, I have always employed people on the basis of personality first, experience later. I would rather train the right person than hire the wrong one - although naturally, I'm not in the business of giving away free licences. A type rating, mountain course, whatever, no problem.

I would certainly not like to hire an idiot just because he's Canadian, or has 10,000 hours, or whatever.

Phil

If our esteemed friend peeshooter espoused many of his views he has published here at an interview, he would I fear, find himself without work.

His (her?) persistent and unrelenting thrashing to death of his elected topic of the day, is indicative of a personality trait that would specifically eliminate him in either my selection, or retention process.

Anyone who believes that employment is a right, and that the only criteria are experience and number of hours, is displaying such poor judgement, that once again, he falls foul of my basic selection or retention criteria.

Over the years I have had the great pleasure of meeting and working with individuals from all over the world, in many countries around the world. In a very few cases have I ever run into individuals that have issues similar to the ones being expressed in this topic. Strangely, I have found that the individuals that are most in demand, far from complaining about the success or opportunities of others, have simply taken advantage of the those same opportunities and find themselves in demand, irrespective of borders, or licencing requirements - strange that, isn't it?

I also have run into a few (very few, actually) people in this industry that I would NEVER hire or work with ever again. In many cases I could never recommend them to any of my colleagues in the industry, as they have exhibited some trait that renders them a danger to their customers, colleagues and my livelihood. Sometimes it is professional capability, but often it is simply poor judgement, poor attitude, unacceptable personal habits or the inability to integrate into the rest of the team. I cannot think of an individual that falls into this criteria that exhibited a single instance of failing, more a round package of unacceptable performance. No-one can force an employer to hire anyone. If I can't get the people I need, I'll do something else, or let someone else do it.

If I were to offer a single piece of advice to someone finding themselves with an inexplicable inability to get hired, I would suggest that if the problem lays with one Operator, then you need to look to that Operator as the source of the problem, or simply eliminate them from your list of prospective employers. If however, the problem lies with EVERY operator, perhaps the solution lies much closer to home?

Try asking a close friend for some "home truths" - because if you don't solve this problem, you may find yourself continuing to be unemployable and becoming more bitter by the hour.

I take it that you are an equal believer that other countries should enforce a similar employment policy? If so, I'm not quite sure what will happen to Canadian Helicopters, Alpine, etc, or the others in the industry that seem to succeed quite happily in other foreign markets?

I will wait to see how successful your attempt to change the work-permit policy is, although I won't hold my breath waiting for the results you predict.

Peeshooter. ****. I just can't stand it anymore. We've talked about this. Whether real or contrived, what you are claiming runs rampant in the Canadian aviation industry is in all industries, including my own (publishing/media).

You simply LEAD (be a shark; effect change; the minority), FOLLOW (be a part of 'the school'; the strong backbone that built our great nations; the majority) or get the h*ll out of the way. It's your choice. I've done all three and I'm proud and fortunate to be able to say that I could recognize my strengths and weaknesses in each category. Try to recognize where you fit in. For all intent purposes, it would appear that you are trying to effect change. Gotta tell you that changemakers usually work stealthily in the background, almost unnoticed, orchestrating every move. They're not cramming ideas down the throats of others; radical and blatant in-your-face diatribes are not what makes great leaders.

Only you can control your own destiny; it's your choice.

Can change be effected via this Forum? Depends on how many sharks are present, whether they've got full bellies (aren't interested) or they're game for a feeding frenzy (which usually results in alot of thrashing and gnawing and blood; my experience). And that's their choice.

It's the beauty of a free society: You've got choices. You know the choice you have to make.

Tariffs on employment! I think that’s patriotism at a new low.

Peeshooter, I think your stereotype of foreigners taking Canadian jobs falls under those who want it bad enough, rather then just a bunch of people who are easily exploited for cheap labor.

I don't think people became pilots to be easily employable or to have the best wages, it’s because they love what they do and want it bad enough. Weather or not Canadians have the "right to work at home" falls under supply and demand more then anything.

If you were an employer and it were down to two people with the same qualifications. One a Canadian who wanted the job or someone who just came 3000 miles with nothing but the hopes for a job that they love and were still willing to settle for less, who would you hire? Who would be more likely to do a better job and have a better attitude? Without a doubt any employer for any job uses someone’s personality to judge how they will perform, how they will get along with others etc. Its the entire point of an interview! Employers aren’t always just looking for the cheapest deal.

Patriotism like that sickens me, yeah I’m Canadian, yeah I like Molson Canadian commercials. You keep saying over and over "Canadians are all equal" which I'm guessing falls under anyone who is willing to live in Canada for the rest of their life and “contribute” to society. Why shouldn't anyone in the world be able to get the same job as you if they can do the same job or better? Isn’t that equality?

If you look at my avatar it's obvious I support Canada, but don't get me wrong. Just because someone is Canadian doesn’t mean they should be hired over someone who can do a better job.

If someone has the “right to work a home” simply because it is their home then Freedom is an illusion (maybe it already is, people using their Freedom to try and impose rules which inhibit Freedom to promote Freedom? Sketchy for sure!). The difference between Patriotism and Racism can be a fine line at times.

Maybe I sound Anarchist. I may have just been listening to a bit to much U2.

Wow, Now back to lurking…