Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hac Letter Concerning Foreign Workers

Guest driver81

Thanks donnybrook, I must have missed this when it came out In May. I do know that some operators are taking advantage of the foreign worker program. I have seen employment ads in places most pilots don't look and the pilots that apply don't get hired because companies want LMO work permits for foreign workers. I guess canadian pilots demands are getting to high. Why would we even think of asking for a rotation and full time employment. Who are we kidding, we all know these companies prefer to hire foreign workers that will work every day possible during the busy season. Then the companies can hire less pilots. It's cheaper..... Bad for Canada's helicopter industry. It not going to be sustainable.

• Like 1

.... Bad for Canada's helicopter industry. It not going to be sustainable.

It has been for 20 odd years so far........

You need to go work in a foreign country and see how many Canadians are abroad instead of sitting in Canada complaining someone from another country has 'your' job!

Guest driver81

You need to go work in a foreign country and see how many Canadians are abroad instead of sitting in Canada complaining someone from another country has 'your' job!

I think you missed the point Old Bull. Also My job has not been taken by a foreign worker. I'm not against the foreign workers as we do need some of them. Just the companies that are using them as cheaper labour. It's not good for the canadian pilots or the operators that are following the rules.

• Like 1

Old Bull I beleive YOU are missing the point here, you should go Overseas and look at the reasons why there are so many Candians out there.

1) They need the expertise that they don't have.

2) They need the pilots they don't have or not enough.

3) That's how the Foreign Country wants it. ex Middle East, name it.

I have been working in 13 different Countries in some of them it was with a Canadian Cie having the contract in that particular Country. I was working for a Canadian Cie and paid Canadian money. these particular countries as soon as they had the knowledge on how to do the job and the pilots we trained to do it the Canadian Companies were kicked out of there.

In others I was working for a local Cie paid in local money, as soon as they enough knowledge to do the job themselves we were out of there AND local pilots were doing the job.

The Countries wants it that way, UAE is a really good exemple.

Now back in Canada, 1) WE HAVE the expertises, 2) WE HAVE plenty of pilots and 3) We don't want it like that.. There are plenty of PILOTS to do what the little bit of work is left out there. Some Companies are going into receivership as we speak, does that tell you something.

There are nothing wrong with emigrants or ex-pats or whatever you want to call them, WE are all emigrants, just choose your time period. The fact that Fred Jones wants imigrants to come here on a work permit to take the job of somebody else that I am actualy paying out of my wages sitting home and collecting UI is not OK, I don't agree with that. The Company I am working for has laid off more than 15 fulltime people, lot of them experience pilots, now go and try to explain to them that next spring there will be an expat on a work permit working where you use to do and it might take a while before we can take you back so, yes I understand you will have to refinance the mortgage on your house but nothing I can do.

Crasbing, "cheaper labour" you can take whatever definition fits your understanding but Jones is doing this for a reason and they are not the good ones. It is moraly and ethicaly not OK.

Crosstube.

PS: Thank Donnybrook for bringing this letter back to life because I never saw it the first time.

Now I will go and read what was said in May about this letter.

• Like 4

Does the fact that this letter was written in May when operators could not crew aircraft mean anything? While I read this thread, there were two different ads splashing up on the right hand side of this thread from Canadian helicopter companies looking for pilots... In the employment section, there are several ads for looking pilots posted within the last month... Apparently there are still operators in need of pilots. The jobs may not be in your favourite city where you can find your mochafrappachino while doing a 2 on 2 off making $200k a year flying the latest multi-bladed quadruple engined whirligig but there is work out there for those who want it.

Hi.

I gather that I may not be welcome when I ask of there is any companies out there that would hire an outsider, as in the next couple of years I would love to come to Canada for a season of flying and to use my experience and licence to see your country.(have no interest working on the cheap) I have been there as a tourist many times, spent plenty of money, and plenty with your helicopter companies helping to keep pilots in a job.

I do not want your job full time but I would like to fly for a summer and then spend all the money I earn travelling with my family, spending all and putting it back into your economy.. We are all lucky to be able to use our profession as a way of experiencing work and operations in other countries like Canada but I see more of the agro than welcome. I do not want to tread on pilots toes locally but as has been said on here before there a pilots from Canada flying down under on fires, including using their own aircraft when there are local aircraft of the same type sitting idle,

But this is a fact of life and when I see your countrymen on a fire I treat them with respect and as a professional doing his job and I seem to have no problem with them being here and have always enjoyed talking to them. They all seem to like working with Kiwis in Canada and it seem the agro is located to a handful of pilots.( I maybe wrong)

I am happy to hear your responses and I am sure I will get a barrage of words from someone who will not be keen on me flying in Canada

Brent

• Like 1