Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What's the deal with pilot engineers?

CNS

Hi there!

I hear a lot of times that managers are afraid to invest on them as mechanics because they'll let the mainenance down as soon as they start flying. Whereas a few managers think it's a great deal.

What are your thoughts on pilot engineers? Would you hire one? Is there a perfect place for them - which one?

In those years of low to moderate flying time per day, isn't it a great way to stay active?

To the pilot engineers here: what were your difficulties, would you do it over again if you had to?

Any thoughts, remarks, constructive critics would be appreciated - Thanks!

I liken it to pilot/ gas plant operators.

Doing 2 jobs but paid for one.  

Do 1 job at a time, be a pilot in the summer and an engineer in the winter or whatever.  

You are 100% correct about pilots wanting to jump on the first stick they can get.  You need good maintenance staff that are focused on the job, not some part timer.

2 hours ago, Heliian said:

I liken it to pilot/ gas plant operators.

Doing 2 jobs but paid for one.  

Do 1 job at a time, be a pilot in the summer and an engineer in the winter or whatever.  

You are 100% correct about pilots wanting to jump on the first stick they can get.  You need good maintenance staff that are focused on the job, not some part timer.

I wouldn't liken it to pilot/operators at all. I've never met a pilot/ engineer who was flying a R 44 make 6 figures a year doing anything ever! On a 2 and 2 rotation with a 14 hour duty day.

• Like 1

Ohh I'm sure there is. Found one you talked about fatigue / working hours - Interesting topic.

But the wifi here, in the middle of nowhere, doesn't work that great - cut out every 2 minutes in average, it's easier to refresh a page than to load many more. And everytime there's a lot of wind, like most of the days, the antenna moves and ciao bye the connection to the outside world! (Nope, no cell coverage).

Thought someone would refer the post you're talking about if there was any. Would be happy to see it if you got the link!

In the meantime, take care guys and thanks for the answers!

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents...

I've always been a mechanical guy which is why I wanted to fly helicopters in the first place. I got my A&P in order to get a flying job. Yes it lets out the secret of my age and county of origin...Being a mechanic did in fact get me my first pilot job. I was never hired as a pilot/mechanic. I was hired as a truck driver wannabe pilot. The company rightly believed that it was better to bring somebody up from the ground than have to unteach a lot of bad habits...

But now I'm rambling...I strongly believe that a pilot mechanic is a conflict of interest. Whenever I have been pressured to do my own inspections, I refused. I fly and look at it every day. Once or twice a month it's not too much to ask to have another set of eyes on it. It's nice to be able to change a starter or check a chip plug myself, but in the end I have one job. And finally, I think being a licenced mechanic makes me a better pilot.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A good buddy of mine who is a P/E always says to me...be a p/e ....the most hated people in aviation. You will get very little respect and always sent on the worst jobs in the worst locations...and usually forgotten about until you call and ask for some time off....what...he's only been there for...what... 2 months...he doesn't fly every day...use them as days off!!! Told this many times! And as mentioned...2 jobs...one pay...aint worth it...nice to know the equipment but mostly a pain in the A$$.