Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Night rating currency

SAS

So....I get asked by the boss...when do we have to leave so I can get to where I want to go go before it is dark...I let him know...when does he show up....I tell him it will be dark in 20 minutes...his reply...do you have a problem with that....my answer....I don't but you might in 30 minutes...fah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another good one...buddy boy gets me to fly him to a meeting...its getting very late and I have him informed that we have to leave now or we will be flying home in the dark... no problem he says ...I don't mind flying in the dark...ok...I am pissed. Its an hour and a half home over water in the dark...clear night or I would not have gone but I am pissed off! Well I will leave it there...we made it home!

• Haha 1

So to clarify the above responses. YES, you can go by yourself and do 3 circuits to become legal (3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days to be current. after that you need to fly 5 take offs and landing within 6 months to maintain currency.

The takeoffs and landings MUST include a full take off and landing, so a full circuit. In the US you can do that with Air taxi.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first time flying in the dark happened out of Wpg some 30 yrs ago. Some CNR types show up at the hangar late in the afternoon...they have to get to a train derailment just east of Kenora...so I get the trip as i was in the hangar turning wrenches...I look at the time and tell boss man that there is no way I can get these guys guys there and get home before dark...I am told...don't worry there will be plenty of lights when you get close to the city...so I load them up and blast off in old jetbuggy....drop them off on the rail line and head west. I have a 30 knot tailwind blowing so I look at the gas and head for wpg... I hit the border and it is pitch black... can't see nothing but the instrument panel...luckily all the lights are working and I have an adf...no gps back in these days....I climbed up to a good height and watch the fuel guage...finally see the lights of the city...call final for the ramp and shut down...I am not impressed with management!

2 hours ago, DGP said:

My first time flying in the dark happened out of Wpg some 30 yrs ago. Some CNR types show up at the hangar late in the afternoon...they have to get to a train derailment just east of Kenora...so I get the trip as i was in the hangar turning wrenches...I look at the time and tell boss man that there is no way I can get these guys guys there and get home before dark...I am told...don't worry there will be plenty of lights when you get close to the city...so I load them up and blast off in old jetbuggy....drop them off on the rail line and head west. I have a 30 knot tailwind blowing so I look at the gas and head for wpg... I hit the border and it is pitch black... can't see nothing but the instrument panel...luckily all the lights are working and I have an adf...no gps back in these days....I climbed up to a good height and watch the fuel guage...finally see the lights of the city...call final for the ramp and shut down...I am not impressed with management!

I am not impressed with management???

You keep making a decision like that, you are working your way to becoming a statistic. What was wrong with staying at Helair in Kenora, remember when you are in charge of an aircraft, you duh man, not management. Whats a couple of hundred bucks to Mid-West if you had stayed in Kenora.

Don😳   

• Like 2