Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lots of turnover at remote helicopters?

3 hours ago, just looking said:

Kind of amazes me how some people think operators should go out and work for nothing a long as the flight crew are not asked to take a wage roll back. 

Id have more empathy, except the operators/owners are the ones responsible for what the rates are.

In a year where we are seeing massive inflation, your advocating a pay cut? thats insane.

If your business isnt profitable, shut it down, be a responsible boomer and just retire already.

• Like 4

I am not advocating for any pay cut. 

I don't believe anyone should drop their rates. However there are some on here that believe they are owed a living, and operators should do what they have to so they can get their pay check. Most companies not flying do the majority of their flying in the summer. They refuse to drop rates just to keep people employed. 

Unfortunately the rates and work are not what it use to be. For instance  Forestry in Western Canada is waiting until the absolutely last minute to hire. Forestry has changed their mins.  When you finally get hired they are paying averaged hours. The days of picking up 40 hours of mins are gone. Operators are forced to lay off crews as quick as they can. They cannot afford to pay people to stay home and do nothing like the good old days.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, just looking said:

The point is probably the owners would rather go broke parked with something sellable. Then go broke with something they can't sell because they can't afford to fix it.

Kind of amazes me how some people think operators should go out and work for nothing a long as the flight crew are not asked to take a wage roll back. If the owners ask for wage cutbacks then everyone gets on the forum and calls them cheap. It's ok for the owners to work for nothing. Just don't ask me to do that.

Who asked that? Maybe certain companies should not undercut the going rates and maybe they could stay above water in slower times. If they can't afford to fix their machines because they undercut rates they only have themselves to blame. You make zero sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, just looking said:

Other than insurance cost's most leased machines these days are power by the hour.

Name those leasing companies that are doing that? Cause our mins went up last year and when we argued it they said they had 5 more companies willing to take that machine off our hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shakey said:

You can even PM me these all too easy going leasing companies.

There seems to be an abundance of rich guys with private helicopters that are giving them to operators to ‘manage’. The private guy gets his costs covered by the operator and still gets to tell his buddies he owns a helicopter. The rich guys just get stung when they get they’re machine back because it’s been hauling fire fighters and drillers and all the big costs are due. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, just looking said:

I am not advocating for any pay cut. 

I don't believe anyone should drop their rates. However there are some on here that believe they are owed a living, and operators should do what they have to so they can get their pay check. Most companies not flying do the majority of their flying in the summer. They refuse to drop rates just to keep people employed. 

Unfortunately the rates and work are not what it use to be. For instance  Forestry in Western Canada is waiting until the absolutely last minute to hire. Forestry has changed their mins.  When you finally get hired they are paying averaged hours. The days of picking up 40 hours of mins are gone. Operators are forced to lay off crews as quick as they can. They cannot afford to pay people to stay home and do nothing like the good old days.

I guess we all just have to live with the reality now that until there is a need for a pilot to fly their helicopter on the chance of a hire, we will just find ourselves sitting unpaid, by the phone, waiting for a call, from a company like this one? I hope this doesn't become a norm...

No wonder this place is dropping pilots like flies...

1 hour ago, fan2 said:

I guess we all just have to live with the reality now that until there is a need for a pilot to fly their helicopter on the chance of a hire, we will just find ourselves sitting unpaid, by the phone, waiting for a call, from a company like this one? I hope this doesn't become a norm...

No wonder this place is dropping pilots like flies...

Well you might but my and my friends phones have been ringing off the hook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1