Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Contrail Requirements Keep Canadians On E.i

Sorry that everyone or most are all hung-up on log book entries. An assumption is being made that ALL pilots with 1500 hrs are safe to work on an oil or gas field "going up....fly for 10 minutes.....and land again in an area big enough to park two S-64E's. Sorry, but that's "Basic Flying - 100"......and "No".....they ain't all equal even doing that simple flying. Is a pilot with 1500hrs more capable than a pilot with 1000hrs less?........afraid that depends on the pilot and the job. Is a pilot with 15,000hrs more capable than a pilot with 5000hrs?.....maybe "Yes" and maybe "No".....and it again depends on the person.

The hours in one's logbook is only ONE PART of the whole picture and WAAAAAAAY too much credence is given to that one item. I thought that way when I had 500 hrs myself and now eons later, I still believe the same and have seen my premise proven true to me many, many times in both F/W and R/W. I dislike the "painting of every pilot with the same paint brush" based on how thick his logbook is. I've seen 2000hr pilots that were as good as lots at 10,000hrs (I had lots of occasions to say "Man that kid's a real good skinner and I couldn't do that as well at his experience level"). I've also seen 20,000hr pilots who were an accident looking for a place to happen and I scratched my noggin trying to figure out how they made it that far. More pertinent to the subject is WHO trained that "low-timer"AND THAT determines whether the resultant product is capable or just another pilot with a license.I also had the pleasure of flying with some 300hr Huey pilots in Vietnam who could "boogie-with-the-best" and went on in the civilian world to prove just that. So from someone that has a few miles on him, let Contrail et al chew on that little piece of input.

If something is not worked out then everyone backs themselves into a corner. You end up with some very experienced, well respected and reputable pilot not being allowed to fly in the Arctic Islands because he doesn't have "Arctic experience" Just how in the **** is he supposed to get that experience if he isn't even allowed to go there. While they are trying to figure that one out, they create another problem for themselves............that pool of "experienced Arctic pilots" is getting smaller and smaller and their hair is getting more gray with each passing year. Let Contrail et al work that one out and when they do, they can pass on the cure to a whole bunch of operators.......and let me know too.

Bottom line here is this: Just because you passed a written exam and flew a flight test doesn't mean that you are the same in ability as the student from the next school over that did the same or that you are as good as the "low time" military-trained pilot........maybe you are and maybe you're not because we ain't all "handed-out" the same talents by our Maker and we don't all learn as quick as our peers. It doesn't mean then that we are "chopped liver", BUT again, we are not all equal and the a comparable amount of hours in some personal logbook ain't about to change that fact of nature.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well , well, well!

I just got yet another PM yesterday, I am starting to see a consistency here. Hmm

It seems as though there are some major problems the industry is facing. We all know about the recent reported corruption at the Transport Canada Pacifc region office and a certain JM who got put through the ringer and a few independent audits. I appears although that the problem lies a little deeper.

"I'm glad that you left my name out. I been banned from posting on the site for telling my 2 cents on some of the #### that i've seen in the industry. I'm sure that you will see that this site is sort of a old boys club, with all of the patting on the backs and so forth. it makes one want to puke. if you critisize someone they know and expose how lame they are your basically focked. a word of warning. I don't blame you for leaving the industry. Its not what people think it is. I've been in for 20 yrs. and been focked so many differents ways and I only have one #### and you can pretty well run your fist up it now."

What a big surprise!!! Or is it?

No way! Impossible! May I please have some of those brainwashing pills please sir!

OMG

Gee what a great bunch of quality people. Drawbridge anybody.

The industry needs some kind of mechanism for reform.Fast.

:down:

Have I arrived back in Canada or did the plane go through some kind of a "warp" and now I'm on a different planet?

I'm starting to think that psychological testing should be part of the commercial licence (even though I probably wouldn't pass...:))

HV

Hours flown is not a very good measure of how safe or skilled any pilot is.

I teach high time pilots as a living and trust me some of them are really inept, however they have somewhere along the way managed to pass the minimum standards.

Get used to new rules and new requirements dreamed up by people who in many instances were unable to meet the very standards they now set for others.

In Europe it is getting so bizzare that it is almost entertaining trying to guess what they will come up with next.

Age is another poor benchmark of ability, again in Europe once you pass 60 you can not fly as PIC in commercial operations and after 65 you can not fly period in commercial operations.

Sometimes however their rules can be waived if you can produce evidence that you can actually do the job.

I have managed to get exemptions for most of these draconian rules and hold not only exemptions on the age rule but also am still granted Airdisplay Authorization for flying the airshow circuit with the same limits as the younger guys...and I'll be 70 next month.

So..regardless of the rules and policies there is usually a way to get exemptions...as long as you can demonstrate that you do in fact qualify, and therein lies the real problem.

I truly feel sorry for those of you who are being unfairly discriminated against based on some morons idea of how to ensure safety....hang in there and take comfort in the fact that it will only get worse.

Reverend C.W.

I have no idea who the author of this little gem is, but whoever it is he / she at least has some insite into some of the problems that aviation has.

Quote:

" We all know about the recent reported corruption at the Transport Canada Pacifc region office. "

What else do you expect when the ones at the top would not be accepted in the Hells Angles due to a lack of morals?

Transport Canada management is an embarrasement to any civilized society.

There I'm back and have not changed one bit. :up:

The Reverend C.W.

Thanks Rosco:

Man it was a long tough summer, I spent more hours twisting wrenches than flying.

But there were some perks with the job and we ( my bed mate and I ) made several side trips during the summer.

We went to Germany and Poland for ten days, then several weeks later spent a week in Luxor Egypt...then a couple of days at Lake Como in Italy and just before I left did a trip down to Turkey in the jump seat of a 767 with two of the guys I fly with...

...and I also flew the DC3 again and it was just like I'd never got out of one, funny how quick these things come back to you.

Anyhow I am looking for wings for my Cub project as I'm going to get it finished this winter...

..and it looks like it will be back to Europe next spring to do the same thing all over again, the people that I fly for are great and when they thought I was finally going to quit they gave me a bonus that guaranteed my return...money will do it every time as there is no whore like an old whore when it comes to money...**** it when will I get the chance to retire? :angry:

Anyone here know where I can get a P&W 1830 opened up and inspected for metal contamination due to blowing the head off one of its cylinders???? The f.ckin thing only had 36 hours SMOH and it blew a cylinder, cost us $70,000 for a quick replacement and we missed the Duxford Airshow...

Rev...

Chuck ------the retirement age of 65 has always intrigued me, even when I was a lifetime away from it. I always wondered who came up with that number and why it wasn't 55, 60, 70 or maybe 80? What happened at 65 to cause someone to fall apart and yet two days before, when they were still 64, they could apparently do the job. So I did some research and this is what I found out. The age of 65 for retirement was started by Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany just after the turn of the last century. The reason he picked that number is that there were few of the population who lived past that age and could contribute anything to anybody. In most cases they needed some sort of care themselves. The reason for that being that the vast majority of jobs in those days required much more manual labour of some sort and after a lifetime of that, they were just plain worn-out by 65. Add on to that that the healthcare of those times wasn't of the level that it has been over the last 50 years and 65 probably was a good age to "call it a day".

Bottom line: Sixty-five is not apprapo to anything nowadays and your retirement age should be based on performance and ability to do the job. If you can't do that, then "sayonaro buddy and thanks for the contribution". Until then, if some yokel figures he's better at the job than you are, let him proove it. So you just tell those that think 70 is too old, to kiss your rosy red arse and sidle up to the controls and see if they can do better. B) Welcome back 'ol fart.