Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Contrail Requirements Keep Canadians On E.i

:P

Hi Vermouth.

Political ambitions!!! I'd never make it as a politician!! Can't/ won't suck up to corporations.

My point is that we have allowed the industry's companies to control/abuse us. They are guilty of that and we are guilty of allowing it. It's bred into us right from the start from flight schools across the country. I was guilty of it too. But now, I will speak up.

As for this thread, there seems to be many guys here angry about these practices, and rightfully so. However we must target the source of the problem...not each other. Pilots all over the world are colleagues to me...all working to pay the mortgage/ feed the kids/ maintain the wife!!!...etc.

Arguing amongst ourselves and attacking a fellow pilot only weakens us and strengthens the employer.

DK

It's basic divide and conquer stuff!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P

Hi Vermouth.

Political ambitions!!! I'd never make it as a politician!! Can't/ won't suck up to corporations.

My point is that we have allowed the industry's companies to control/abuse us. They are guilty of that and we are guilty of allowing it. It's bred into us right from the start from flight schools across the country. I was guilty of it too. But now, I will speak up.

As for this thread, there seems to be many guys here angry about these practices, and rightfully so. However we must target the source of the problem...not each other. Pilots all over the world are colleagues to me...all working to pay the mortgage/ feed the kids/ maintain the wife!!!...etc.

Arguing amongst ourselves and attacking a fellow pilot only weakens us and strengthens the employer.

DK

It's basic divide and conquer stuff!!

That was well said. Blame not your fellow pilot who is only looking for the same thing you are. Blame the companies. In part they are doing it to try and stave off the baby boom shortage that is inevitable. They go through the CV's on their desk and pay no attention at all to the citizenship of the applicant. They don't have to so why should they? Government is on their side.

Am I the only one who can see the benefits of minimum hour requirements for pilots??

On the safety side, is there any amongst us who would not agree that they were a more skilled and capable pilot at 1500 hours then they were at 300 hours? I know I learned a tonne in that time period. Would you want to send your new born child and wife off with a 300 hour pilot or a 1500 hour pilot if you hadn't met either driver?

I had the misfortune of being a passenger with a low time pilot this summer for a lengthy ferry trip. It highlighted the fact that this low time pilots short comings had less to do with his hands and more to do with lack of experience with which to base his decisions or lack of decisions.

On the financial side the fact that many pilots with time and experience are serving these clients and are now spoken for I am earning considerably more then I would otherwise if I had to compete with them. Thanks to minimums I am able to use supply and demand to my advantage. That in turn will work to the advantage of all pilots with 1500 hours plus. Even if you are at the 100 hour mark one day you may be at the 1500+ hour mark and you will be pissed if you are making the same money you are at 300 hours.

Don't get me wrong I've been through a few audits by Contrail and they do certainly have lots of room for improvement but I am all for the minimums. Pilots will continue to be brought up thorugh the system regardless of those Oil and Gas companies that subscribe to 1500 hour minimums. There's still lots and lots of clients out there without any minimums.

As far as Canadians with time not being able to find well paid flying jobs in Canada all I can say is maybe you should work on your job finding skills because I haven't had the slightest problem the past few years. Maybe I've been lucky lately.

ttf

HV - I'm way ahead of you - look here! And HereSpread the word! Maybe we can get some common sense into the situation

Vermouth - the 2000 hour requirement is old news - I knew about that a year ago!

I agree, it is entirely ridiculous when you consider I was belting around the German countryside at about 15 feet with live missiles attached at 200 hours!

Treetop Flyer - you answered your own question - it's nothing to do with hands, but what's in the head! How do you know that a 200 hour guy has picked up the knowledge he requires in the right manner if at all? Has a guy with 4000 hours cattle mustering (or whatever) actually got 4000 hours, or 40 hours 100 times?

Phil

TTF very well put and 100% accurate.

There is no substitude for experience, even at 500 hours you might "fly safe"in most situations but there is a ton of improvement in skills and all around confidence a thousand hours of experience later.

This says it all:

Would you want to send your new born child and wife off with a 300 hour pilot or a 1500 hour pilot if you hadn't met either driver?

Oh my god,

Its like ground hog day in here. How is it that every second topic comes back to an Australian or a Kiwi taking your job. Boo Hoo. You know what BT. Call Immigration Canada and stop waisting our time. If you spend half as much energy with them as you do with this topic you should have us out by lunch tommorrow. What an absolute load of crap. Personally I love working alongside you guys. Hands down some of the best drivers I have ever seen. I am impressed every day with the depth of talent here. I love my Oilers and I love my beer. I might not be Canadian but as long as people continue to ***** and moan ,when they should maybe be working a little harder on their attitude, I will always have a job. So pony up and do something. I will be sure to give my best to the Canadian boys in Australia this year fighting fire ( Tasman/ Wildcat ). As I am sure they are putting someone out of a job down there. To everyone who supports PILOTS of a different nationality I thank you and remind you that you are welcome at my table anytime. Vegemite and VB for all. Done.

Hey Phil,

Treetop Flyer - you answered your own question - it's nothing to do with hands, but what's in the head! How do you know that a 200 hour guy has picked up the knowledge he requires in the right manner if at all? Has a guy with 4000 hours cattle mustering (or whatever) actually got 4000 hours, or 40 hours 100 times?

Very true but what would you propose they do differently? Do an evaluation flight with each pilot for operational and emergency skills? I know plenty of drivers out there who can be on there best behaviour when they know ppl are watching but can turn into someone totally different when alone and bored or being pressured in the bush.

Maybe an hour requirement and an evalutation flight?

A little off topic but is there anyone else out there who thinks annual PPC's should be something ppl graduate to. Perhaps every 6 months until you have 3 ppc's and 1500 hours?

Just some thoughts.

ttf

Hey ff,

Vegemite and VB for all.

I'll pass on the vegemite and the bitter as I've downed more than I would care to admit of warm VB. If you add aussie women to that list I would be a happy man. Something about knowing that they are gonna spend 50 days a year at the beach makes them try a lot harder at keeping in shape.

If you guys would just spit those marbles out before talking on the radio we wouldn't know there were so many of you around! :prop:

ttf