Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helifor Accident

Why do losses in aircraft seem to go deeper than deaths in other vehicles?

That question has bothered me all day, Rev. Until I thought about my family's reaction to the loss of a pilot loved one. The loss of any life is tragic, yes. But when wings fall from the sky to the ground or water below it's painfully poignant because that's not where wings belong.

(I realize that was probably a rhetorical question and I should not have answered it. Apologies if I upset anyone. <_< The question bothered me.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TQN, probably because it is the most harsh reminder of what might happen to each and every one of us. we are a small community of people who do something that is out of the ordinary for the average person. the average person who likely does not understand the amount of work it has taken for us to get where we are today and the amount of responsibility that we carry, even when we are flying by ourselves.

we have all seen or heard of people who have lost friends in terrible accidents and we wish that these accidents might stop. we certainly don't want them to happen to any of our friends or friends of friends. in my experience i have known a couple of guys who have died doing this and i sincerely hope that it ends there.

RIP and my deepest sympathies to all of those involved.

Edited by shaggy

Saddened to hear of the tragedy. I'm sure the entire family at Helifor will be deeply shaken.

I had a report passed on to me that the news reported the crew reported a vibration and were returning to service when what ever event happened.

Prayer and thoughts to all that are affected.

RH1

That question has bothered me all day, Rev. Until I thought about my family's reaction to the loss of a pilot loved one. The loss of any life is tragic, yes. But when wings fall from the sky to the ground or water below it's painfully poignant because that's not where wings belong.

The sorrow of losing a loved one is always panful. and because our industry is so small, this is family, for most of us here.

"There, but for the Grace of God, ..."

We all have times when it should've, could've happened to us, and then we wonder why we were spared when it didn't.

Thoughts and Prayers to the family and loved ones left at home. May you be granted the peace you seek during your loss...