Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Winter Op's

Iceman

carrying all that extra survival gear (shovels, stoves etc) and personal gear is not feasable in every aircraft. Load up the ship with the customers gear, and them, and there is no room for those extras. So what do you do?

"Somehow I (who said I would basically only fly under -45 in an emergency) am now responsible for the crash of numerous american medevac helicopters"

And don't be like that HV, that was not what was implied, but should you ever be stuck in the middle of nowhere, landed for some problem, the freezing patient likely doesn't have an extra parka to throw on, hope you can give him yours.

Edited by PerfectTrack

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep thinking that someone will pull out the Jetbox flight manual, (I don't have one) and talk about the triangle markings that are on some of the fuel pressure guages...

Jet B - all temps

Jet A - limited to -18C and above without the 8psi triangle on your fuel pressure gage, -32C and above with the 8psi triangle.

Other factors may limit you such as transmission and T/R gear box oil. Check your oil type limitations.

Sorry for being peevish PT... if you notice the time of my post you'll see that I had just returned from a "couple" at the pub with my brother and had just finished explaining to the witch who runs the joint why they're never getting another nickel out of me... so I was in a bit of a mood... but I'm feeling much better now... except that my hearts been moved to my head and won't stop pounding away!!

HV

Perfect Track:

You're right, you won't always get the chance to bring along everything you want. But if you do have the chance, a few items like that are a good idea. What I was trying to do was provide my view on some of the things that were mentioned as good survival tools, as well as suggest a few others that people could make use of if their situation allowed.

The most important item that you can bring is your brain. If you put useful knowledge in your brain, you'll have it available when you need it. It also has the advantage of not taking up any extra space or weight when it's full.

Jet A - limited to -18C and above without the 8psi triangle on your fuel pressure gage, -32C and above with the 8psi triangle.

Actually it's -17.8C ;) and anti icing additive is not required if an airframe fuel filter is installed.

Great information in this thread, newbies take note :)

I thought the recommended limit for Jet-A was -45 C (?). Seemed to me that -45 C was thus the 'magic' number for winter ops.

With all due respect, I suggest you read the entire paragraph 1-11 of the 212 RFM, especially the last sentence, and I quote, “Refer to Weight-altitude-temperature limitations for takeoff, landing and in ground effect maneuvers chart (figure 1-1)”. You will then notice that the minimum temperature is -40ºC. Therefore, should you legally takeoff, at a temperature above -40ºC, and experience a decrease of temperature as you climb, you can then continue to operate down to a temperature of -54ºC. So to suggest that you can go to work with your 212 at -54ºC is not entirely true.

Cheers,

H.N.

Guest Bullet Remington

HV:

Geez, Man You didn't tell me my First Wife was operating a beer joint in BC!!

Keerist! Send an address will ya? I'm gonna sue that Beach for alimony!! :punk:

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, I want to thank you I enjoy reading this informative thread!

I am taking notes of the stories the experienced pilots share on this site and this is my favorites and a very informative thread.

Right now I am getting info before i start in the great white north where the trees dont grow.

-What do you guys wear up there while your working? The question is,, to stay comfortable working and at the same time be prepared in extreme cold weather conditions?

I want to wear it while i fly .. just my my shovel and stove are in the cargo the rest I wear... for example,, what boots would be best? etc.

Cheers and Thanks again in advance,

Z