Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Walkarounds

The origonal post was not about Dual- Inspections, it was about Walkarounds. Lets leave dual-Inspections for another post.

DI-Daily Inspection is one thing, usually done by the engineer, in our crowd anyway. (Multi-engine.) I have never seen a pilot do a "complete" Daily Inspection according to the manual on 212/412 etc. (not that it has not happened)

Single Pilot Ops. of course the Pilot has to do it (according to the manual of course) if there is no Engineer available.

A Walkaround is different and exactly what the word implies-A Walkaround. Open panels, check the juices, have a good look around your ship, "just" prior to flight.

Especially before first flight of the day, and after a refuel. Comments?

Fly SAFE Guys!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a habit of approaching your helicopter from the front and start walking from the opposite side you fly from.

Good advise Blackmac! Applies equally to Pilots and Engineers. Don't hunt and peck a machine to death. Pick a good solid method and stick to it. And do not tolerate any inturuptions.

Splitpin

Touchy subject. Lots of pilots seem to be a little hesitant about doing a 'COMPETE' walkaround, is it because you are afraid of offending the engineer?

Thats a new one.

Any pilot with half a brain (we do exist) would walk around the machine before starting up, at least to untie the blades or make sure the client didnt leave anything hanging out of the baggage door etc.

I don't see this as an issue IMHO.

avoid repition with-in reason guys. i'm not saying start at a different point everyday, but don't always do it with the left foot in front of the right foot approach.

becoming an expert has to do with experience. a cow following the herd always finds its way back to the barn, but the one that checks out every corner of the pasture can do it himself and who's the expert then.

besides the checklist should allow you to start from any point during a walkaround and you'll finish all the same

Thats a new one.

Any pilot with half a brain (we do exist) would walk around the machine before starting up, at least to untie the blades or make sure the client didnt leave anything hanging out of the baggage door etc.

I don't see this as an issue IMHO.

Lets not get too sensitive Iceman.

Seen and heard of lots of machines starting with blades tied down, and I'm sure there will be many more. Also seen the odd chainsaw fling out a open baggage door. The Pilots concerned were not "stupid". They just got "off-track" momentarily

Happens to everyone sometime. Client pressures, interuptions, etc.

I am still sticking to what I said. The last thing you do before you get in your machine is a Walkaround-uninterupted

Let's not forget intake and exaust plugs seen it all... I even saw someone almost start an Astar with only two blades on. We were trying to get the point across to a certain individual, I think it worked. I never saw him get into an aircraft without walking around since.

Mistakes happen. We all make them. In the end, it's what we do to detect them prior to flight that can make a difference...

My two cents.

Touchy subject. Lots of pilots seem to be a little hesitant about doing a 'COMPETE' walkaround, is it because you are afraid of offending the engineer?

"Touchy subject" - why? "Lots of pilots" oh really? "Afraid of offending the engineer" What the ****? Guess I'm just having trouble relating to the above statement.

Maybe I am feeling a little burned out and stressed too, thankfully I am off the job tomorrow after a looong 2 weeks, don't mind me. :wacko:

I know you mean well by starting this thread.