Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lesser Of 2 Evils...

Ryan

Anyone been put thru this scenerio for real?

Just about every time you go out. More times than not, you will find in the "real world," that things aren't in your favour. That's why it's so important to realize that there are options, different approach paths, and ways to do it.

Don't get hung up on "...but I was taught this way!!!" That will get you into trouble. :shock:

Somedays there is no wind, and it doesn't feel right. Sometimes the wind is blowing from every direction (it can and does :wacko:), and nothing feels right.

The important thing is to recognize what you have to work with, and make a good decision, and make it early enough, so that the outcome is favourable to all concerned...

That is the true test, of lessons well learned. :up: :up:

if your only options are:

1) the sun in your face. :down: (you are saying blinding glare from sun your face right?)

2) a tailwind approach to avoid a blinding glare. :down:

3) you have no options for a cross wind approach .

The specific confined spot your talking about is not suitable at that time. :cop:

but you do you have other options:

1) if you really must be at this specific confined spot then just come back to your spot when the angle of the sun changes and you can do your approach into the wind :groove: (could take max 30 minutes to change )

2) just simply find a better spot to land. where the conditions are more favourable. :up:

anyways thats my two pizzas slices

Ryan ------don't feel comfortable doing whatever, then DON'T. You might even get advice from someone more experienced and STILL not be comforable or uneasy about it. If so, listen to that little voice that speaks to all of us on occasion....no matter how experienced we are. Don't ignore it either or trip over your ego.......we enjoy your presence here on the forum too much and you'd be missed. :up:

I think the best advice I ever got from a pilot is excactly what Cap said---listen to that gut feeling, if it doesn't feel right then don't do it, split the load, don't land there etc...with experience you will start doing more and more challenging scenario's, downwind landings/takeoffs etc as sometimes that is the only option... that gut feeling has saved me way more then once...better to be safe then sorry :up:

cheers TT

Cap & TT just about put in a nut shell. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

In all my years flying other than life saving, I've never seen a job that could not be done later or the next day or not at all.

Pilot Decision Making is always based on your experience, not somebody else's.

When making a decision always give yourself an out and be 95% sure of what you are doing, 50/50 no way.

That basically is what builds up experience and keeps you alive.

I had a buddy with the big "Vik", well experienced, clipped a dead head flying into the sun on a landing approach in the hills in BC.

This guy had about 3-4 thousand hours on type, excellent pilot , made one error. Nobody is infallible.

Don

Edited by Blackmac

Ryan ------don't feel comfortable doing whatever, then DON'T. You might even get advice from someone more experienced and STILL not be comforable or uneasy about it. If so, listen to that little voice that speaks to all of us on occasion....no matter how experienced we are. Don't ignore it either or trip over your ego.......we enjoy your presence here on the forum too much and you'd be missed. :up:

this is very wise advise.

I agree.

I agree with the boys on all accounts as stated above. I myself don't do down wind at all ( past bad experiences) unless I have a way out. As for the Sun I have found myself crabbing into wind or a high hover descent so that when my tail comes around I am now looking down, and not at the horizon. This is all assuming a good recce of course. Just be aware that when you come back out, especially heavy in a j box that you could get blinded. All else fails just be honest and on your go around/abort just say you can't see. Nothing worse than lifting up out of the trees hot n heavy, calculating your departure over the trees... OOPS can't see.

My very general opinion

Zazu